The Big Idea Archive

Comments

• Our days at home and work are very variable atm. It would great to have an option to bring forward, or delay, a time block for an hour without making the change permanent. Used to have this feature years ago on an analogue timer, it was very useful!
  • You can manually boost the hot water for a pre determined amount of time.
    It would be useful to be able to delay this for one off occasions such as a one off early start for work and need hot water earlier than usual but dont want to boost it too soon.
  • Martinp
    Martinp
    edited October 2020
    Hi. Sometimes I would like to set the radiator to heat to low/medium/high (as shown by the 3 call to heat bars) for a period of time independent of the air temperature, is this something that could be easily enabled?
    Thanks
  • I like to control independently each radiator or room, but sometimes you need manually to heat the whole house/apartment and not to be bothered on opening every single room or radiator. Creating fewer rooms doesn't work for me as I have different needs, different orientation of rooms, different floors, working space, home space...

I guess that could be done in different ways, allowing a default room "home" that could control all the rooms at once, at the same time having all the independent rooms you need. Or being able the central thermostat to override the radiators setting... that would help also letting visitors to set up centrally the whole house heating at once.

• It would be really helpful to see all my daily schedule time blocks in one screen. The constant opening and closing in portrait view, in order to see the temperatures, is very frustrating and long-winded. Why doesn't the app respond to screen rotation?
  • Um...Tado doesn’t use WiFi
  • In chart view, the default is that weather icons are shown across the top of the chart. However the button that toggles these on or off is, by default, disabled. It is not logical that I enable the button to make the weather icons disappear, it should be the other way round.
  • FoFo
    FoFo
    edited October 2020
    Hi,
    Today by default , the TRV can’t call the smart thermostat to call for heat if the smart thermostat is already at the correct temperature. To have the TRV calling for heat ; we need to ask the support to change the setting and it works.
    Could we have a switch like the “early start” switch in advanced setting to enable some TRV to call for heat and some not ? Can be called “active” / “ priority” / “master/slave“
  • It happens a lot that someone changes the smart schedule/temperature of a room. Only that person knows that the schedule has changed.

Please provide a functionality to notify everyone (with a notification) when a schedule/temperature schedule for a room has changed.

• Would be great if you could give us reports on the energy efficiency of our home. You can get outside temperature data from weather reports, you know how long it takes for our homes to cool down when the heating is off, therefore you can calculate a rough heat loss coefficient which could be compared to benchmarks and other properties. This could be tracked monthly say so that the benefits of energy efficiency improvements can be monitored, replacement boilers can be more accurately sized.
  • The app could do with a lot of work. Rotation being one. There is a lot of data to be looked at but there are too many screens to go through.

• Uses IPv6 Low power PAN, I think

• Yes, some way to jump ahead would be really useful.

A "Gone to bed early option" would work along the same lines. Move all the devices to the time block that would be active at 02:00.

A "Home early/working from home" is more problematic as you may not want all rooms to be brought forward. So, only bring forward those devices whose time block is closest to the current time. For example, with the current time 09:00, the main heating time block is set to change along with one TRV at 18:00. These two items will be brought forward. The other TRVs in the bedrooms are set to 19:00 and are left as is.

• I only have one Thermostat controlling all my heating, so don't require anything that sophisticated.

Geofencing doesn't work very well for me (and believe me I've tried!), so this sort of flexibility with the time blocks would be great. You can change a time in advance without having to worry about remembering to change it back.

• Agreed - if they could make it compatible with a standard pattress box and include a fuse and capability to switch 16A this could be a real future proof way of keeping Tado users whilst the world switches away from gas and oil heating.
  • Yes, interacting with notifications from the lock screen on iPhone (or from the Watch) would be really useful.

• Is this right? My TRVs call for heat no problem even if my main thermostat is at the high temp
  • samd
    samd ✭✭✭

@Guru86 Yes it's correct. There are 2 switchable (by Support) modes where one requires the boiler-controlling Smart Thermostat to be calling for heat before any other device can 'work' and the other is where all devices have the ability to call for heat.

• This is a great idea. It could also be used for improving the energy efficiency of the heating system. Eg. Weather adaptation turns on too early because of outside temperature because it doesn't consider building fabric. Once fabric is considered a better estimate of when to switch on can be made thereby saving more energy. A form of TPI (time proportional and integral) would also help with efficiency by firing the boiler in bursts of several minutes instead of continuously. This would allow return water temp to cool between bursts and increase water heating efficiency. Very useful for starting up in the mornings.
  • There have been times when Tado has fired up my heating system from cold, just to raise the house temperature by 0.2 of a degree.

This is surely a waste of energy.

Perhaps a setting could be introduced called ECO mode, which will only switch on the heating, if the temp required is greater han x degrees? A step further would be to build an algorithm which factors in the forecasted weather (temp, wind, and solar gain)

Couple this idea with linking to either IOS or Android alarm clock (or device activity), this would allow the schedule to become more dynamic.

If you like this idea, please give it a vote.
  • Thanks GrilledCheese.

Just so I understand you correctly, let's run through a scenario.

Let's say my house is 19.8 degrees, and it's 13:55. The heating has not been on all day. My schedule in Tado puts the temp at 20 degrees from 14:00-16:00.

In this instance, Tado will force the heating to switch on from cold, to raise the house by 0.2 degrees. Or will it? In my mind, the weather adoption algorithm will modulate the boiler - which is great. But the system will still heat the house by 0.2 degrees (or more, if it overshoots the target temp, which mine does regularly). In any case, I don't feel the occupants will feel a 0.2 degree difference, so why not simply tell Tado to not enforce the schedule in this scenario?

Thanks for helping.
  • samd
    samd ✭✭✭

@GrilledCheese No doubt you are right but tado doesn't know that some rooms are facing the sun and some facing north. I have never experienced the 'hold off' but to be fair I have not been looking for it but agree with @codders the the system regularly overshoots significantly.

Interesting topic.

• Hi guys, my suggestion is to allow the geofencing to be programmed on individual rooms so that when a user is away from the home that the rooms they use can be put into away mod. I find there are rooms in my house being heated even though those rooms are not in use as the occupier of that room is away. for example if my daughters bedroom is set to heat even thought she is away from the home but I am at home using a different room. I believe this could allow you to make saving on bedrooms when the user is not home.

best regards

Michael

• gary333
    gary333 ✭✭✭
    It would be more convenient if when you click in to a room (on the app) that by scrolling left or right you could access the next rooms along.

If you have a lot of rooms it’s a bit of a pain to have to go in to a room tile, then press the ‘x’ button and go to next room again and again.
  • This is something I really miss. For the rest tado works perfectly
  • I agree, why can other manufacturers make them but not Tado
  • The early start does not work. Our rooms are on temperature 1 hour too early. This is pure waste of energy.

Please improve the early start algorithm so that it reaches the desired temperature on the defined time and not too early.

Thanks

• Better still, why not make the default "off" rather than "on" for that button?

• Please implement an algorithm for early start instead of support manually changing parameters based on customer complaints.

@Tado: Google Nest developed an algorithm: https://support.google.com/googlenest/answer/9246532?hl=en

There are multiple studies about smart heating algorithms: https://www.researchgate.net/publication/332878070_The_Weather_Impact_on_Efficient_Home_Heating_with_Smart_Thermostats

https://cs.stackexchange.com/questions/102663/what-algorithm-is-appropriate-for-a-thermostat-controlling-the-heating-of-a-room

• @eman, would indeed not be bad as that functionality does not work at all. Tado support manually changes a value and there is no algorithm at all that measures it.

Please vote on this general idea that already has more votes, I didn't know it already existed:

https://community.tado.com/en-gb/discussion/2137/fix-early-start-bug-for-trvs-vroege-start-met-thermostaatknoppen-werkt-niet#latest

This discussion has been closed.