The Big Idea Archive

Comments

• Your current bridge is inadequate for many longer homes - please develop a more powerful bridge or a mesh system like everybody else has (Sonos for example) so I can use all the units I have bought from you!!!!

• I’d like to see a button to just switch the heating off in specific rooms or whole house. When the weather is nice and doors are open the heating still kicks in sometimes and I have to manually reduce the required temperature for a certain length of time where I’d prefer to just switch it off and back on easily
  • Germán
    Germán | Admin
    edited June 2020

This suggestion already exists, please add your vote to support it in its thread:

https://tado.vanillacommunities.com/en-gb/categories/suggestions-ideas-and-improvements?sort=top

• sobriain
    sobriain ✭✭✭

I have replaced my existing heating control system with Tado devices.

My hot water cylinder has 3 sources of heating: roof solar panel, electric immersion heater and boiler heating.

The boiler heating coil had a TRV included with an external thermostat attached to the hot water tank in the old system to control the temperature. When I replaced the system with Tado I had a unused TRV on the hot water heating coil.

I mounted a Smart Radiator Valve( Horizontal) in a vertical position on the TRV.

I added additional lagging to exposed hot pipes. The hot water tank has good insulation. I set the temperature of the Smart Radiator valve to the highest setting (25C) and included a short heating schedule for it.

The hot water is now heated from the boiler as before and by the time the Smart Radiator Valve comes up to max temperature the water in the tank is heated. I have flexability with the system to add a negative offset temperature to the Smart Radiator valve to increase the water temperature.

Might not work in all cases. I no longer use electric water heating.

• Freeman
    Freeman
    edited June 2020

Hi all,

I miss the view of all heating symbols on the home screen, they finally deeper (they already implemented this future after I reported this) but not on the main screen. How do you thin about this suggestion? For iPhone and iPad of course.

I make this quick in Photoshop, but I thin there is a place for this. Hope Developers TADO team will implement this soon.

greetings,

Freeman

• Freeman
    Freeman
    edited June 2020

PS. another version, heat indicator symbol are the same size like the original and places near temp number.

• Or just clean the filters once a month. It's not exactly arduous.

• There seems to be a few 3D print versions... https://www.yeggi.com/q/tado/

• sdmaino
    sdmaino ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020

When the setup has been reached, Tado closes immediately the valves of that zone.

Boilers normally run their pumps for a variable time, from 1 to 3 minutes, after having reached their OFF command to let the heat go out of the chamber through the radiators. This becomes noisy and obliges the user to let a radiator always open (no TRV).

Please set up a manual delay before closing the valves after the setup temp has been reached.

• Alternatively, opening the zone valve on the hot water storage tank so that excess heat is dumped to hot water rather than over heating the house would be useful.

• You can achieve this manually with IFTTT, just use the button trigger in IFTTT and set it up to trigger Tado however you need, then add the button widgets to your home screen.

It would be better from Tado, but it is broadly possible.

• Same here:) Support suggested I put this here too a long time ago, I just forgot to do it.

Basically, making the Smart Radiator Thermostat work for cooling is pretty simple, this is just a software update, basically Tado could do it in 2 ways:

-Simple one, autonomous to the Smart Radiator Thermostat, doesn't require a "brain" (like a Smart Thermostat connected to the heat pump): You just duplicate the scheduling to create one for "cooling" then you can switch the Smart Radiator Thermostat from "Heat" to "Cool", of course it assumes that you actually "provide" the radiator with cold water:) but that's intended.

-The complete solution (which should still include the one above) may require a new hardware connected to the heat pump, but maybe this could just be a firmware/software update on the Smart Thermostat itself. It would just handle the communication to the heat pump using OpenTherm (I haven't dig too much into this though) activating the switch from heat to cool for all Smart Radiator Thermostat at once.

Anyway, if the Smart Thermostat can't be updated, if it's the only thing to buy/change, it's ok as long as I don't need to change all 7 Smart Radiator Thermostats.

We need more votes for this, as it's clearly a great (and much needed) feature

• Thanks for taking the time to share with us such a great forum post and, Simply put your release post to my favorite topic niche list and will look forward for additional updates. Thanks all for share your tips and tricks. I also would like to share with you :) i need professional british dissertation editors london

• aiyah
    aiyah
    edited June 2020

My air conditioner doesn't seem to have any presets that work well with the Smart AC Control, some of the features work on some presets but others don't, so I'm left with a partially functional system.

Previously you could use the Teach Tado feature to program each individual command. It took a long time, but you could be sure that the exact commands you wanted were being sent to the air conditioner. This was removed about a year ago which I learned after doing a reset and was unable to recreate my set up.

I was told by Tado support that this was removed because it was causing users issues and was difficult to provide support - this totally makes sense because each set up would be different. As a compromise I suggest that instead of removing the feature outright, why not put it behind an "unsupported" disclaimer? If I mess up my manual configuration, that's on me fair and square, if I want support and troubleshooting, I would use the Tado presets etc.

• Would be a nice feature to have dark mode as an option in settings if possible

• This might sound really simple, and I don't know how much work it would take to implement...

but Open Window detection - but it says where the window was detected.

At the moment I have two smart thermostats, one upstairs and one downstairs - but whenever I window is detected being open, it just as "open widow detected" - it would amazing if it said "Bedroom Open Window detected"

Just an idea.

• Hello Tado,

Please add some smartness to the thermostat. Lot's of people have a heat pump and almost all heat pumps can cool too. Last year we had a summer with temps of over 40 celsius and now we have 30+ in june in The Hague. It would be nice to use the cooling feature.... But I need a Honeywell thermostat for that. Tado cannot produce the signal to start the cooling function. Can't be that difficult (if Honeywell can do it....)

But I see more people made a similar request a while ago without a reaction from Tado.

• Swansea_Pete1
    edited June 2020
    Hi,
    I'm planning to upgrade tado today from v1 to v3 but I cannot see anywhere in the app to add a new bridge. I can see add new smart thermostat, extension kit etc. Has anyone else seen this issue? Thanks for your help
  • Thanks for your advice. Do you know how I can deregister my old bridge? I can't see anywhere I can do this.
  • Same here, my floor has heating/cooling capabilities. I believe with a simple software update that can be solved by changing the direction of trigger. To be simple a manual heating/cooling selection could be added
  • Yep, please support this

• So many people are crying out for this.

Allow zones to be grouped and programmed.

Allow Global control

Allow quick temperature settings on above

This has been going on for way too long. It's really making the system a pain to use and making us thinking of putting something else in.

Please advise

Regards

• andyblac
    andyblac ✭✭✭
    edited July 2020

I have a Baxi 830, and I have just link it to my Tado via OpenTherm and I can control the hot water temp in Tado App

and also set up schedule to change temp at different times during the day, so I do not have to add cold for example when washing up dishes

• And it would be nice if the product information did not say it was a mesh system when it clearly is not.

I posted a similar thread months ago but no response from Tado :-(

I’ve also noticed that devices on the edge of connection use a lot more power and the batteries only last three months.

• I have an unvented cylinder hot water setup. I've jsut been investigating why my boiler is cycling a lot and realised that it's Eco setting, where it condenses best, is 68 degrees output temp, which was struggling to heat my cylinder to 65 degrees due to the small heat differential at the end of the heating cycle.

Solution is to set the boiler temperature higher. Which it doesn't like because that means lower efficiency and the radiators will be too hot to touch when the central heating is on.

I'm using the Extension Kit to control both hot water and central heating. By doing that I'm unable to set the Extension Kit to control the Boiler using OpenTherm. As I understand it, having OpenTherm control would let me set the output temperature to 80 for hot water and 65 for Central Heating. So can we have that please?

Along similar lines, the Hot Water side really needs to know the cylinder temperature and when the boiler is firing to be properly useful. Eg I'd like to know when the boiler was on, how much hot water is being used and add some more nuance to when the boiler is allowed to heat the water.

• Hi

If all trvs, thermostats and hot water are on auto idle....show off.

If something is on auto heat. Then overall status is Auto Heat. If They are all on Auto Idle, then the status is Auto Idle.

Something like this would be great for a quick info screen.

If there was a 2nd status, you could just note what trv was on heat. If it was all. Just state all. :)
  • At the moment the temperature offset on TRVs is linear so it always applies +/- X degrees. This is an issue because sometimes the offset causes the temperature reading to be far too low thereby causing a call for heat unnecessarily

In reality the offset is not linear in the vast majority of cases. If the radiator is off you're getting room temperature readings and when the radiator is on you're getting a reading that's too high.

I suggest switching the offset so it only applies when the radiator is on which you would know because your TRV in a room would be activated. Ideally you would scale the offset depending on the amount of time the radiator has been on or depending on the amount of temperature the trv was reading above room temperature when the offset was set.
  • App should indicate how much time heating was on and functioning.

• Please set the AC Cool mode to start from the minimum temperature, and the Heat mode to start from the max. (Smart AC Control V3+)

As it is now, when I touch the base to turn on the AC, the Heat function starts at the minimum temperature (16 degrees) and the Cool function starts at maximum (30 degrees).

I think it's unreasonable, these are not proper temperatures for heating/ cooling; it should be the other way around.

In addition, this makes it difficult to navigate, because if I want to move past Heat or Cool to other functions, I first have to scroll through the entire temperature range. Attached a video for reference.

• Hello,

I have this issue who I think it would be a great idea. I live in a rented house with other members of the family, who are working and having different schedules. What I would like is to after inviting all them into my "Home" to be able to assign the TRV from their room to their profile so they can use the geofencing and switch on/off independently in the home network of TRV's. in this situation, whoever have an TRV assigned to their room/profile can work independently from other TRV's based on their location.

This discussion has been closed.