The Big Idea Archive

Comments

• I love the Tado system, we’ve had it for a number of years and we really appreciate the convenience and efficiency it gives us.

From a reporting perspective, it would be useful to be able to set some “personal comfort” settings for Air Comfort. Currently the report is optimised for a comfortable temperature of 21°, however that would be far too warm for our family. It would be useful to be able to set a personalised comfort level (e.g. we would set it to 18°, which would be too cold for some people).

I know reporting is low priority by comparison with functionality but I regularly use the reporting and value the whole house viewpoint it offers me.
  • When I try to set a temperature by voice even though behaviour is set to "until next automatic change"

Alexa says the device is turned off if I turned it off by voice or via an alexa command. I have to then turn it up (and on) manually. Or select the device and choose cancel on the app or tell alexa to turn the device on by setting a temperature.

Could you add a command to the skill such as AUTO which reverts the device (or all devices with a group command) back to Smart Schedule.

Sorry if already suggested
  • Agree with this, 21C is uncomfortably warm. Ideally being able to manually set this would be great. If not, I share Dave's view that 18C is about right.

• They will get left behind.
    Having a remote contact stat that can turn the boiler on and off in a scheduled period or maintain a temperature would be easy. Its basically a trv without the valve adjuster and with a higher temperature scale. It can be powered directly as a normal tank stat or battery for a wireless system.

It wouldn't need to be expensive. But would tie everything together
  • Hi,

I'd like to make a couple suggestions. One is the idea of zones for heating and the other is app improvements.

Zones

I'd like to see the idea of Zones introduced for heating. At the moment we can have rooms for devices to be grouped, but that's kind of annoying if you, say, want to heat the entire downstairs.

For example, I have 5 tado smart TRV's downstairs. 2 in the living room, 1 in the kitchen, 1 in the enterance hall, and 1 in the office. I also have 1 in each of 4 bedrooms upstairs. Now, I have smart schedules of all of these, (which is kind of annoying having to set them all up individually), but I want to be able to, say, set all of downstairs to 19 degrees in one action. This would be possible if we could group rooms in to zones. It could also help if I wanted to set all downstairs to 19 degrees, but then turn the office TRV off because I know it's not needed to be heated. A smart schedule for zones could also be very useful.

Having 1 smart TRV in some many rooms makes the home screen really hard to navigate because there are so many buttons. I could spend ages explaining more on this, but I think you get the general idea of it.

App improvements

Part of the app improvements is the zones idea, but also it would be good to have a master switch on the home screen to turn off all heating. I know geofencing can do this, but sometimes your at home and want to turn it all off.

I use the tado app on an iPhone X. The app looks and works great, but it is poor for 1 handed use. I'd like an improvement to make it better for one handed use like moving the confirm button from the top right to the bottom section of the screen. And also making use of iOS's navigation system by being able to go back to the previous screen by swiping from the left edge and not having to reach to the top left to tap the back arrow.

Another improvement I'd like is the abilty to hide things on the home screen that I don't use like Air Comfort and Boiler Repair Services.

Tom

• I think that a system of intelligent thermostats is used to control the temperature of a house, it does it using sensors and relays or valves. If a sensor controlling a zone fails to get that zone to the desired temperature it should alert the user who manages the system, right? For now Tado does not have this function...

• It would be great to connect tado with Alexa as a source of data. E.g. when tado detects data shows that humidity is low, Alexa triggers to start the humidifier.
  • The open window algorithm currently only triggers when it notices a steep temperature drop over 1 or 2 minutes.

Sometimes the drop will be significant but not steep enough to trigger the algo e.g. because the outdoor temperature is not drastically lower than indoor. This can cause the thermostat to demand heating, which then goes straight out of the open window!

I was wondering whether the Open Window algorithm could also consider cases where the temperature has had a slower decline, and where the subsequent efforts to trigger the heating to raise the temperature are ineffective.

I've recently had instances where my heating was triggered to counter such a reduction in temperature, but the temperature continued to decline due to an undetected open window. This can be clearly seen on the graphs. The thermostat should switch the heating off in that scenario rather than continue to demand heat. As it is, you have to hope that you notice what is happening, and then either reduce the thermostat temperature manually, or set Away mode, both of which are a bit unsatisfactory.
  • Ability to have target temperature without firing boiler. This would be particularly useful on hallways and landings. This way they don’t call the boiler but still keep valves open to scheduled temp.
  • I have a similar requirement. It would be good to be able to switch between two separate schedules; one for when we are at work/school and one for when we are on holiday but at home and therefore our getting up time in the morning, for example, is later.
  • As a landlord, having permissions for maximum heat settings would be very helpful

• Hi

I tried out the Auto mode and there is a problem with that. It is not possible to set the temperature, so when Auto mode is selected the temperature is always set to 25 degrees (C) (I learned this after I talked with support).

The AC definition (Panasonic AC) of Auto mode is:

• During operation mode selection the power indicator blinks.
    • Unit selects operation mode every 30 minutes according to temperature setting, outdoor and room temperature.

So the tado only need the option to set the temperature then theis mode also work.

The idea is then:

Enable the setting of temperature in the Auto mode.

Br Erik

• The app could send a notification if there’s a heating request (heating is on for several minutes), but the room temperature is not rising. Could mean that the boiler has shut off.
  • I understand Tado can operate in 2 modes.
    - where only the main thermostat can call for heat
    - where every device can call for heat
    And that the mode can only be changed by support.
    This feels very "all" or "nothing". :)

It would be useful if it was user selectable per room whether it can call for heat or not. This would allow:
    - low priority or "passive" rooms to reach temp when its available (e.g. hallways)
    - high priority or "active" rooms that can demand heat as soon as needed (e.g. living room)
  • as I found out today, when the internet connection is lost the schedule stops working on the thermostat. it would be useful if this info is stored on the device so it can continue to function like a normal thermostat when there are issues with the internet connection.

currently my BT broadband is not working so I am only able to change the temperature manually.

even when my phone is connected to the wifi I cannot access the thermostat through the app. an actual internet connection is required.

this is a major flaw in my opinion

• samd
    samd ✭✭✭

@thomasjurke There is already a thread on this subject - best add your voice there - duplicates tend to be closed down so that the number of supporters can be seen in one place.

• marcusnl
    marcusnl
    edited April 2020

I would like to call attention to this suggestion as this is a big miss currently. I'm using my airco for heating and cooling but cooling is manual. A friend of mine has 4 airco's he uses to warm his upper floors, a lot of manual work which shouldn't be necessary.

• Yes! Ill second that. One schedule for all the kids rooms.
  • Yes!
    I would be fine with having the overlay-function in the web-version only.
  • An official wallmount would be nice, especially since it is officially recommended to mount the bridge vertically for better reach.
  • My kids do not only toy with the temp setting, they de-mount the whole valvehead. A simple click-lock or a simple screw would fix that.
  • Hi All,

i have 4 radiator thermostats and the standard wall mounted thermostat - initially install was easy as I only had the wall mounted thermostat so was simple to make minor changes to heating times in the schedule but as I’ve added to the system I’ve found that which each new device you have to edit it’s smart schedule individually.

would it not be an obvious for Tado to add a group device option to the App so that you could still edit individual thermostats but also be able to say turn them all off/change a start time to heat for all devices at the same time?

• Could we have a single button to turn all rooms down to say 5 degrees (ie off)
  • samd
    samd ✭✭✭

@Dredbriggs There is a Global On/Off request with 173 votes further down suggestions first page - add your voice there cos duplicates get closed down

• According to:

https://support.tado.com/en/articles/3405556-what-is-the-air-comfort-skill

Currently the Pollen Forecast and Outside Air cards are available in the following countries: Germany, UK, Netherlands, Italy, Austria, Spain, Belgium, France, Denmark, Switzerland, Czech Republic, Ireland, USA, Poland, Luxembourg.

Please extend this list. At least for Croatia. 😉

I believe that prerequisites do exist and it's only matter of implementation.

• Hi all

Maybe I'm nitpicking, but Tado tells me my room is too cold with 19 degrees and an outside temp of 20 degrees. Can I change my comfortable temperature? :)
    Cheers
    Vic
  • I am using Radiator Thermostats (1st floor) and the Smart Thermostats (ground floor with floor heating) all connected to the extension kit that drives my boiler.

1) Is it possible to make the Radiator thermostats and the normal thermostats to only activate the boiler 1 to 3 minutes after opening the valves.

The reason is that now the boiler when started by the thermostats reports that it is waiting: "Boiler cannot transfer heat to central heating” due to the boiler not being able to pump the water through the system since the valves are not yet open / have just opened. This results in the boiler retrying after 10 minutes which delays the start of warming of my house.

If you first open the valves for e.g. 1 minute and then start the boiler it will immediately start.

2) When none of the thermostats is requesting heat anymore, is it then possible to deactivate the boiler first and then only after e.g. 3 minutes close the (last) valves?

This enables my boiler to circulate the already heated water for at least 1 minute after stopping the generation of heat and transfer this heat to the radiators and floor heating. This also avoids that my boiler tries to "pump water through closed valves".

Doing the above avoids that I have to either have a manual thermostat that is always opened or a bypass which both only waste energy.

This is a rather simple SW change that preserves energy.

• cortana
    cortana ✭✭✭

I think there are some of us who have heating systems that have a hot water tank. With many of these devices (especially the new generations) it is possible to use a larger functional area via the respective interface.

My suggestions would be:

Legionella protection:

• freely selectable weekday or daily, time freely selectable, duration in 15 minute steps up to max. 2 hours (via support or better directly in the app)
    • (previously 1x per week, 2 hours 70 degrees, can be activated via support)

App display and control

• Additional display of the current water temperature in the app
    • change the minimum water temperature at which the benner starts heating the water (avoid unnecessary burner starts)
    • an exact diagram (as for heating) with display of heating times and temperatures - so far only one red buck is shown in the diagram.
  • Another vote for this!

I'm retrying Thermostatic Control mode and am surprised/disappointed to see that I have the option of Heat OR Cool. What I really want is what the original poster suggests: A range which, if the temperature drops below, will cause the AC to heat, or if the temperature exceeds, will cause the AC to cool.

Surely this is a merging of the to current features, so should be fairly straightforward to do?

• Another vote from here to this,

I live in a country where this feature is highly usable.

I was using Sensibo for couple of years and now decided to test Tado, I am also disappointed that this feature does not exist. Sensibo has it and it is just awesome how it works for me.

This discussion has been closed.