[SOLVED EE ISP Issues] Bridge not connecting / cloud light flashing

Options

Comments

• @johnbur

Wouldn't surprise me. I will possibly be moving soon and Tado wont be going in my new home, il find another solution given how this has been handled.

• Just out of interest.... Has any one else woken to a flashing light this morning?

Woke up to a freezing house! Hopefully not the same issue with EE and a one off only.

• AdamW
    Options
    Fine here @Danelawton.
  • johnbur
    Options
    @Danelawton sounds like the 'usual' problem reported in many threads - the bridge is prone to losing connection and not reconnecting automatically even though the Internet connection is fine. Happens to me about one a week - and usually during the night! I now have a complicated solution involving a fingbox/IFTTT/smrtplug that power cycles the bridge automatically when it detects that it has been offline for 5mins.
  • Thanks both, Not EE again then at least that was my main worry as if it was I would have been down to screw fix for a new controller & stat!
  • johnbur
    Options
    @Jurian you have gone quiet on us. Is there going to be an update on what happened?
  • Danelawton
    Options

@johnbur

Looks like because its solved its brushed under the rug! Disappointing.

Ive taken my Tado out over the xmas period, I had 3 more mornings of cold house and having to reboot. Back to my normal standard heating controller now. Just glad I trialed it first instead of going all in with TRVs.

• SimonL
    Options

@Xtn Tado must have changed something on their side of things which means that Tado no longer works for people with ISPs that use CGNAT.

I tried and failed to setup a secondary router with a vpn to allow port forwarding from internet. Couldn't get it to establish a connection, will keep trying.

I'm having to turn my heating off overnight whilst this problem continues otherwise it's heating the whole house all night long and costing me money.

I didn't realize you could raise a support ticket, i've been trying to contact Tado over their web chat system, so i'll raise a support ticket too and see where that goes.

• Jurian
    Jurian | Admin
    edited January 2021
    Options

Hi all,

Sorry for the late update on this thread.

EE/BT rolled back their update and all affected tado devices came back online.

Since that day, tado worked on a firmware update to allow the connection to remain stable even after EE/BT would implement the change again.

This firmware has been rolled out in the past week. (Firmware 60.8)

We just got confirmation from EE that they will implement the same update to their network again tonight that caused the bridges to go offline before.

We do not expect any problems due to the firmware update, but if there are problems again from tonight on, please reply to this thread.

• AdamW
    Options
    😬🙏🙈🤞

Fingers crossed we all wake up with warm toes in the morning.
  • AdamW
    Options

Pleased to report still working here!

• johnbur
    johnbur ✭✭✭
    Options

@Jurian You said in December that you would ask the PM team to see if we can have a statement from their side - was this forthcoming as I cannot see it?

It would be useful to hear from them exactly what happened, and what has been done to avoid in the future - e.g. what was changed in the recent firmware update?

• I'd also love to get a general description of what you had to change to work around this issue.

I don't actually have a tado, but my Mikrotik router was badly impacted by the last roll out, with random stalled TCP connections.

And exactly the same started again today, seemingly after they rolled out the update again.

So I could really do with a bit of info on what needed to be "fixed" so I can take it to EE and Mikrotik and try and get the problem fixed. Or maybe there is some tweaking I can do on the Mikrotik setup to make the same fix tado had to.

• Vilbs
    Options
    Thursday 28th @ 0400 GMT the bridge again lost connection to the internet and has not recovered since. I have tried power cycling but nothing. I assume this is the same issue as last time? (I am also EE 4g). Please help.
  • andynormancx
    edited January 2021
    Options

@Vilbs I don't suppose you are using a Mikrotik router for your EE 4G ?

(though I'm guessing the more likely explanation is that your bridge firmware didn't get updated)

• Vilbs
    Options
    Yes I use a mikrotik router
  • Go and take a look at this thread then and see if you are being impacted by the same issue.

https://community.ee.co.uk/t5/Network-status/TCP-connection-problems/td-p/988729/highlight/false/page/3
  • Vilbs
    Options
    Thanks Andy but I don't think so. Occasionally I do get the odd page hangs etc that I need to refresh but everything currently seems to sit within acceptable tolerance of a 4g connection.
    Annoyingly I can't tell whether my bridge is on the latest firmware or not. I have the older product and it is on firmware 47.2 I have no idea if that is the one with the EE fix or not. And I don't hear anything from support. Does anyone know?
    Thanks
  • AdamW
    Options
    My bridge is on firmware 60.8 but it’s not the older product. @Jurian can you advise?
  • Jurian
    Jurian | Admin
    edited February 2021
    Options

@AdamW I am not sure what you mean? Do you have 2 bridges ? One on the new firmware and one on the old firmware?

If you want to use the one on the old firmware, please add it temporarily to a non-EE network for it to fetch the latest firmware update automatically (usually takes around 10-30 minutes). Afterwards you can also use it on your EE network again.

If this is not the answer, let me know.

@Vilbs We did not provide a firmware update for the V2 bridge (serial starting with GW), since the amount of affected devices is very low compared to the V3/V3+ bridge (serial starting with IB).

We are in the process of contacting people with this older bridge to provide a different solution.

If we did not contact you by the end of this week, please contact us via the contact form/chat.

And before anyone asks: We had a whole plan ready to have a solution for these V2 customers in December 2020, but then the last minute Brexit deal happened with the inclusion of additional paperwork required when shipping something from EU to the UK. Hence that solution was delayed and EE could no longer delay the roll out of the update on their side. We are working as quickly as we can to still roll out a solution for V2 Bridge customers on EE networks.

• AdamW
    Options

I meant could you help @Vilbs, which you have 👍

• Jurian
    Options

Hi All,

Here is the technical explanation of what happened, directly from our head of embedded software:

"EE adds certain TCP options into the traffic between cloud and end devices on their 5G network, for details please reach out to EE directly"

We are unable to go into more detail but I can tell you:

Our old firmware did not handle these TCP options well, and lost their connection as soon as EE implemented them. The new firmware is updated to allow for these TCP options and stay online even after EE implemented the same TCP options once again.

• wbl55
    Options
    I have the older bridge and it has now gone back to being not connected. It lost connection on the EE update in Nov/Dec. Was fixed after the EE rollback but since they did the latest update a few days ago it’s connection has been lost again even though @Jurian said they expected it to be on this time. I’m getting rather fed up with all this. 🙄
  • Jurian
    Options

@wbl55 I am sorry that you are back offline. Did you read my comment regarding all people on V2 bridges from yesterday (only 3 comments above yours)?

In theory, we should contact you by Friday, if that does not happen, send us a message via the normal channels.

If this does not go fast enough, you can consider buying the latest bridge in any of the current starter kits. Be aware though, you need to plug in the newest bridge at a different internet connection to update it before you can connect it to your EE connection.

• wbl55
    Options
    Problem would be I don’t have another internet connection so pointless trying to sell me another bridge.
  • Vilbs
    Options

Well I've been told I have no choice.

As my bridge is more than 2 years old I have to buy a new bridge.

Really disappointing.

• wbl55
    Options
    If it can’t be fixed I think I’ll just utilise manual mode until the end of this winter then maybe before the autumn switch to a different brand.
  • Jurian
    Jurian | Admin
    edited February 2021
    Options

@wbl55 @Vilbs Did you read my comments ? Who told you that you have to buy a new bridge? This is not true. If it was our support, then I am sorry for being misinformed by us.

We should be contacting you before this Friday with a solution.

If someone from our support told us that you have to buy a bridge, please ask that person to escalate your case since you are a special case due to EE.

This should land you to the correct people.

EDIT: I have informed the whole Customer Experience organisation about the strategy for people on EE with the V2 bridge, so if you contact us again, I expect no issues.

• Vilbs
    Options

Thanks Jurian. I have responded to Support with a copy of your message. Good to know all is not lost yet :)

• wbl55
    Options
    OK. Thanks Julian. 👍🏻