Release a smaller, cheaper Wireless Temperature Sensor for the Smart Radiator Thermostats

Options
13»

Comments

• jcwacky
    Options
    @Mauritsss As ambi just updates the Tado Offset. I assume that HomeKit will display the temp from Tado, but as this will have been adjusted via the offset it should still match the ambi temperature (within 15 mins).
  • SPT
    SPT ✭✭
    Options
    Now that we have some competition, Tado will make something cheaper (we hope).
  • SPT
    SPT ✭✭
    Options
    Will the offset adjustments deplete the TRV battery faster?
  • mperedim
    Options
    From past experience (having built something similar with scripting), yes offset adjustments trigger a TRV recalibration and hence will deplete battery somewhat faster. There has been an enhancement request open for years in the forum so as not to recalibrate the TRV when offset adjusts, but I wouldn't expect Tado to implement it.
  • matthijsk
    Options

In a dutch tado facebook group somebody replyed on this product with this:

I use a Homey (that's an home automation device) for this with the TadoZones App and the Aquare Temp & Humidity sensors (zigbee) as temperature sensors.

I determine a temp offset once myself and enter it manually in Tado.

The biggest advantage is that I can do everything via if then else constructions and that the batteries of the sensors last much longer than those of this sensor

That sounds also interesting, only the Homey is a bit of a big investment which I personally don't need now. I just want a simple device for monitoring the room :)

• SPT
    SPT ✭✭
    Options
    Waiting for someone to reverse engineer the Tado temperature sensor......
  • sDonks
    sDonks
    edited January 25
    Options

Wanted to add a post here, saying that I was having the same problems with my TRV's and the temperature and found it annoying enough that when I saw the Ambi as an option here I thought I would buy one to test it out. Since it is a new product I thought I would share my experience here of how I found it. In my experience, the upshot is that it works.

In my experience, since setting up Ambi, for the large majority of the time the temperature displayed in the Tado app has been within half a degree of a thermometer that I have placed next to the Ambi .

The app feels like version 1.0, but it is functional and gets the job done.

It seems to change the offset only a few a times a day when needed, so you're not getting the TRV recalibrating every 15 minutes. I have only really noticed it a few times myself over the last week.

The actual Ambi product feels solid and well constructed.

I did need some support as it wasn't initially working, but after contacting Mark, he was able to sort the problem remotely the same afternoon. I think my Ambi just needed an update and since then has been working as expected.

Since then I have also exchanged a couple other messages with Mark and has outlined a few future features he is looking to add, which sounds good and has been quite responsive.

• markiaindean
    Options

@Mauritsss Sorry for the late reply. I see what you are saying. To alleviate the constant constant change in temperature between the ambi and the Tado thermostat, ambi only changes the offset when the offset changes by 0.5 a degree.

With regards to Homekit. I don't have homekit, but I would assume Apple will report the Tado Thermostat temperature with the offset applied just like in the Tado App.

I hope this answers your questions. Just drop me a message if you have any more queries.

• markiaindean
    Options

@sDonks Thanks for your feedback. As you said, we will be releasing an update to ambi that enhances the feedback provided to the user showing how ambi is working with and adjusting the Tado offset.

• TadNube
    Options

Well done for getting the Ambi to market @markiaindean . You are a breath of fresh air in the stagnant Community environment that Tado promote as their source of innovation BUT continually ignore!

You guys are showing Tado how to listen to users without holding them to ransom, keep it up.

• @TadNube Thanks for the kind words. We've just pushed out an update to add a few more features to our App that our users have been asking for.