Extension Kit Removal

Options

I'd like to remove the extension kit from my setup.

How do I do this?

Clicking on the three dots on the top right of the screen does not give a remove option for extension kit

Thanks, Jim

Answers

• shaakunthala
    edited October 2023
    Options

I did this successfully but with a bit of trial and error. Even though the question is very old, I'm sharing my answer here in case it might be useful to other people.

Background:

I had an extension kit installed for zone control for underfloor heating. However, the construction contractor recommended to use a smart TRV without an on-off relay. Therefore, I wanted to remove the extension kit.

The extension kit was directly connected to the boiler with OpenTherm connection (+/- terminals). There is a smart TRV in each bedroom. The wired room thermostat in the living room was configured as an on-off relay.

The zone controller was the extension kit.

Before you do this:

Tado will delete the room where wired thermostat is placed and create a new room. This will delete your heating schedule, so it might be a good idea to write it down before you start.

Keep the Tado professional installer manuals for both the wired room thermostat and the extension kit ready. You need the extension kit's manual as well, in case the change would be unsuccessful, leading to a rollback.

Removal steps:

1. Turn off and unplug the boiler and the extension kit. I did this from the fuse box, so there's no electricity.
    2. Take out the wired room thermostat device, but keep it in the same room.
    3. Prepare the wiring between the boiler and the wired thermostat. Leave the wiring at the boiler's end disconnected, but the two terminals apart from each other and possibly still insulated. From the living room, connect each terminal to OpenTherm + and - on the wired thermostats mounting plate. (In my case, 230 V relay wiring wasn't connected, but if that's the case you need to follow additional safety precautions)
    4. From the Tado app, assign the wired room thermostat as the zone controller for each TRV. When the extension kit is in use, extension kit is the zone controller. (In my case, the next step failed to save settings when this step was not done). Then, remove the extension kit from the app.
    5. Now, press and hold the button on the Tado wired room thermostat for 3 seconds. Follow the official professional manual and choose the right protocol depending on your setup. Pay good attention to the visual instructions. In my case, I chose D01 for OpenTherm. Then in the next screen HC01, then HW ✓, and finally EK X to indicate that there's no extension kit.
    6. Repeat the above step, only to verify that all settings are correctly in place. In my case, strangely HC01 had been changed to HC02 but I have no idea why. So I thought it might be a good idea to do a quick verification check.
    7. From the Tado app, verify that everything is correct. Check zone controller settings again. You will need to re-setup the room and its heating schedule.
    8. Now you can physically remove the extension kit. Remove the plug, and then connect the OpenTherm terminals from the boiler directly to the wires coming from the room thermostat. Ensure firm electric connection and good insulation around.
    9. Mount the wired room thermostat back, and then turn on electricity and then the boiler. Test everything.
    10. Finally, plug the now-removed extension kit to an AC outlet and factory-reset it. I'll be selling mine on marktplaats.nl after testing the new setup for a few days. ;-)

It's bit of a work, and you may need the help of a professional electrician.

Thanks,

Shaakunthala