w.Intercom = i;Smart Thermostat (v3) not firing boiler (was working previously) — tado° Community

Smart Thermostat (v3) not firing boiler (was working previously)

Hi everyone, I wonder if anyone can help.

Firstly, I should say I am a long time user of Tado with everthing working correctly until today (I chose to resume all schedules last night where previously it was set to OFF) - so have only noticed this today I should say.

I've had a very odd experience in that the heating is not turning on when expected. I've noticed that when I press the physical button on my wired smart thermostat (v3 - RU01) it shows the current temperature and then the next screen shows OFF. I've set the entire house to BOOST and even after 10 minutes, the heating does not fire up and the display on the smart thermostat has the same behaviour (The app shows as heating).

I've replaced the batteries in the smart thermostat, and restarted the bridge (heck I even restarted my router). The App doesn't show any warnings and suggests everything is heating - when clearly it is not. (I tested with my old 'dumb' thermostat and that triggered the boiler, so I can confirm that the issue is not with the wiring or the boiler).

The one thing I've not done is re-paired my thermostat - maybe this is my next step.

Has anyone else experienced this issue?

Am I missing something obvious?

Tagged:

Best Answer

• mnoorgat
    mnoorgat
    Answer ✓
    Thanks all.

I have a wired thermostat, so the advice related to the wireless receiver didn't apply, but I'm sure it was helpful to others.

I had already tried a reset (holding down the button for 10 seconds), but that didn't help unfortunately. In the end, it was Tado support who did a reset from their end which fixed the issue. Very useful to know this is also an option!

Thankfully it's all working again after that remote reset. Best of luck to anyone else facing a similar issue.

Answers

• I had the same thing happen to me yesterday. Have a look at the wireless receiver (next to the boiler) and looks at the light on the right hand side - it should light up when you have a heating demand (turn the thermostat up high).

Mine was flashing indicating a "digital/analogue" mode rather than solid (indicating the "relay" mode). I googled how to edit the Tado config and set it to relay mode and it is now working again.

The sequence to enter config mode is detailed in section 6 of the document - it involves pressing the button for 3 secs and releasing (repeat 2 more times)
  • I am having the same problem- thermostat shows an increase in temperature but the boiler isn’t firing and heating isn’t switching. I know it’s not the boiler. I have had the Tado RU0 for several years and it’s really annoying as this happens every year . I am starting to regret having brought a Tado and the customer support isn’t very good.
    I have a wired Tado . I have tried everything I can think of, have reset the internet bridge checked the relay connection is as instructed but it is still not working. Starting to give up ….please help !!
  • I normally push the button on the main thermostat and reset that to make it work normally again. I think it sometimes gets confused and is either stuck on or stuck off. It's done both recently for me. Boost mode seems to make the heating stay on forever even when returning to schedule so you have to do a manual off. Then it won't go back on after returning to schedule. Resetting the main controlling thermostat by holding the button in normally sorts mine out. That might be repairing. It seems to sort out most issues.

Mine's also been over heating massively and generally acting the goat. Then a reset sorts it and it's fine for ages.

• Thank but I have a wired Tado thermostat so only thermostat I gave is the Tado …I think I need to chance the set up to a wireless Tado thermostat and also add a manual thermostat
  • mnoorgat
    mnoorgat
    edited October 3
    Hi Dols, have you reached out to support? I did this via web chat - select technical support, followed by emergency option. After a while you'll get a response by email. Like I said, I've had Tado for 10+ years and this is the first time I've had this issue - and I too have the wired setup.

Give that a try before you invest in more and go for a wireless setup (which introduces another element which could go wrong).
  • Dols
    Dols
    edited October 3
    Yes, I have contacted support via chat and now on my Third email with the support team…they don’t see to understand the problem but let’s see .

I take on board your comments re: wireless …but at the moment I can’t switch on my heater if the Tado thermostat isn’t functioning which is frustrating. Were you left without heating until you fixed the issue ?
  • Hi Dols,

Ask support to do a remote reboot.

When I spoke to the chat bot it suggested I put back my old thermostat if available so my heating would be operational again - this was before I spoke to a human. That would certainly work. My problem got solved before I got round to doing that thankfully - though I did override the thermostat by completing the circuit to confirm there wasn't an issue with the boiler (I don't recommend doing this unless you're confident with what you're doing).
  • They did the reboot but it still wasn’t working, i then got a plumber to check the boiler which is fully functional ( cost me £ 85 to check this ) and today customer services are saying that I need a new Tado device …I am going to get a Hive …mnporgat thanks for your help
  • Best of luck Dols.
    With prime deals on at the moment you could pick up a replacement wired thermostat relatively cheap (return if unhappy) and see if it works. If you're a long time user, the no subscription is a huge selling point.
    Regardless, all the best.