w.Intercom = i;Quality issues — tado° Community

Quality issues

The display on my Smart Thermostat has failed after only 3 years. As its out of warranty Tado won't replace it. Having to replace one of the main components of the system every 3 years will make the system very expensive. Extremely disappointed by the Customer Service received from Tado and the quality of their hardware, which has left me considering moving to a different brand in the hope of better reliability. I've also stopped recommending the system as a result.
Tagged:
1 votes

Active · Last Updated

Comments

• Emcee
    Emcee Admin

Hello @Bikermouse,

Thank you for posting in the community.

I had a look at your conversation with our support agent. Unfortunately it is true that your device is outside of warranty and therefore all we can do is offer you a 30% discount to replace said device.

• @Emcee 30% off the RRP price isn't really trying to resolve the issue as it works out at a similar price to buying it from a discounted distributor. The cost also renders any savings made by the system limited, so why wouldn't I install a dumb thermostat that will last me 10+ years, cost me a similar amount and I don't have the hassle of having to replace the unit every 3years? It just really disappointing as the concept is pretty good but the quality and customer service is letting the product down.
  • rafm5
    rafm5 Volunteer Moderator

How do you estimate a 3-year lifespan? Do you have supporting data from global device failure measurements and analysis? While it's true these devices can and do break, causing frustration for users, it's unclear if other brands offer completely fault-free alternatives. The real concern would be if a significant number of devices fail regularly and customer service dismisses these issues.

• The 3 year life span is the life span achieved by my device. Ultimately I'm not prepared to take the risk on another device failing in such a short time period. It's not unreasonable to expect a device like this to last longer, especially when it is a device that's located in a pretty easy environment - it's wall mounted, doesn't get knocked, hit or vibrated, it doesn't see extreme temperatures or strong sunlight, etc.. For the majority of the displays life it isn't even illuminated.
  • Unknown
    edited July 12
    This content has been removed.
  • Same issue here. Product little over 2yrs old.

Display malfunctioning. First stripes, subsequently temperature starts to change without touching the screen.

Customer service offers 30% discount because just outside of warranty.

Ridiculous after such short life and a waste rather than a saving for the environment. A technical instruction on how to repair pcb or screen would be minimum.

Very disappointed but still hoping for solution from Tado.
  • wateroakley
    wateroakley Volunteer Moderator

@Marno Sorry to hear that your display is malfunctioning after two years. The ubiquitous on-line store 'A…' has the Tado products on special offer today.

Although it's disappointing to find a failure, we have found the reliability is better than the heating controls that Tado replaced. I've done a quick calculation for the 30 Tado devices. The MTTF is over 70 years (one early failure TRV). Which is comparable to many other solid state devices.

• Dear wateroakley,

Without knowing your dataset 'of 30 devices' your comment is hard to counter but I find it hard to believe for the thermostat alone. If it is so long, please offer extended warranty and replace my unit. I am very open to verifying your claim in a new product.

Ok my own I would not take the risk of going with tado again but rather revert to more established device makers of smart radiator thermostats such Bosch, Honeywell or Danfoss or even the likes of TP-Link or Sonoff.
  • wateroakley
    wateroakley Volunteer Moderator

@Marno We're a user, using data from two family homes with Tado for 2.5 years. Two internet dongle, two wireless receiver, three wireless thermostat and 24 TRVs. One TRV was eating the rechargeable batteries every one-two weeks and eventually died after 21 months. Good luck with whatever you decide to do.