Another case of one house, two boilers, one broadband service

Options
policywonk
policywonk ✭✭

Need to explain this carefully. We've used Tado products for more than 10 years now, so when moving to this house, where we're assisting a charity, the use of Tado seems initially logical.

The house is about 80m long (east to west), shaped like an upside down 'T', with two system boilers. The whole building has one broadband router. The two boiler domains are:

1. The East Wing. Has a dedicated boiler, UFH, four bedrooms, three rooms downstairs, a dedicated hot water tank. It is functioning fully with an internet bridge, one wireless controller, three wired thermostats handling the UFH, and rad-stats for the bedrooms. All Tado kit and it works.
  2. The Charity Wing. Not yet upgraded, it is served by another dedicated 44kw boiler with a C Plan system, two pumps - one for CH, one for HW. It has twelve school radiators with Honeywell thermostats and a giant hot water tank. Our intention is to switch this to a Tado kit, with Tado wireless thermostats in each room, a dedicated wireless receiver for the CH+HW services.

I dont have a logical problem in my head having two Tado "domains". If it means they are handled via two accounts until Tado wakes up, I'll apply this approach. So, right now, we're planning for both domains to have a dedicated: internet bridge, wireless controller, Tado account, etc. Owing to the size of the building we can place the internet bridge for the Charity Wing on a dedicated Devolo ethernet port hanging off a power socket right next to the boiler and wireless receiver. Expect we'll have to shut down the East Wing completely whilst we install and configure the upgrade to the Charity Wing. We've chatted to Tado support and after a long runaround they seemed to think this would work.

We are also aware that the V3 internet bridges can cause problems with broadband routers and we've got around the throttling impact by feeding feeding it through a managed switch which then hops onto the router.

So, in my head, we think we've resolved the logical obstacles. However before I proceed, does anybody have reflections, suggestions? We are aware that access to experienced Tado support techs is harder nowadays, so any help would be appreciated.

Answers

• davidlyall
    davidlyall ✭✭✭
    Options

Seems to make sense. Tado have previously cautioned against two bridges on the same router but I believe there are others on here that have successfully done it.

I guess you can try and if it doesn't work, return for a refund?

BTW, I don't think you'll need to shutdown the East Wing unless this is for electrical safety?

If you're using Android devices to control Tado, have a look at my thread below regarding running two copies of the app on the same device

• policywonk
    Options
    I stumbled across your post three days ago and have been installing the app in the secure folder. Will report back. Thank you!!!

By the way has anybody seen a real Tado mod here in the last year?
  • policywonk
    Options
    The trick I haven't worked out is this. It seems a real option to install more than one extention kit on one bridge. It also seems true that one can assign the zone controller by room. So logically isn't it possible to have two boilers running on one account?
  • FFM
    FFM ✭✭
    Options

Yes. They are on here pretty much daily. But they are admins (not sure plural though), not tech support.