Minimum battery voltage requirement

Options
I have 2 radiator thermostats that nag me for new batteries every few months, while all the other stats are happy for the best part of a year or more.

A new dry cell battery is 1.5 volts. The 2 nagging stats want new batteries when there batteries are 1.3 volts.

I had thought about fitting rechargeable batteries, but their voltage is 1.3 fully charged, therefore useless in the nagging stats.

All my Tado gear is less than 2 years old. Can Tado tell me why I have 2 stats that can only operate for a short time with new batteries. Or, do I have a justifiable case to ask for a replacement?

Comments

• GrayDav4276
    GrayDav4276 ✭✭✭
    Options
    Unfortunately as you have had your devices for over a year now.....tado won't replace them as faulty....but I'm sure that they will "happily" sell you new ones.
  • FFM
    FFM ✭✭
    Options

All my TRVs are on rechargeable batteries. Last about a year or so. And the rechargeable ones are even special "made with recycled stuff" ones that have less power. I have a total of 9 TRVs and I doubt the ones I got are some precision engineering wonder that I happen to receive.

I am no gas/heating guy but couldn't it be that some radiators just need a bit more power to push that thing in to open/close? Not saying rust but maybe wear and tear or dirt or whatever? I have never used my finger or a tool to press it in but has anyone ever done that with a radiator that is empty (no water pressure inside)? Are there differences in how hard you have to push to move it?

• davidlyall
    davidlyall ✭✭✭
    Options

Who says they're faulty?! The battery usage may be entirely normal due to the characteristics of @Greg_Sinclair's property

@Greg_Sinclair , to the best of my knowledge, if you're using the latest version of the smart TRV, it's fine with rechargeable batteries. Don't get too hung up on the voltage of a battery at rest. I believe the logic in the TRV measures teh voltage drop when the valve is operating. A tired battery will drop much further than a new one but at idle, both may have similar voltages

• GrayDav4276
    GrayDav4276 ✭✭✭
    Options
    @davidlyall
    I didn't say they were faulty.....my comment was that tado will not replace any faulty devices if they are outside the warranty period......my bad, if it wasn't obvious.