More than 10 rooms - help please - pre sales question

Options

Hi Tado Community,

I’m hoping someone in the community can help as Tado themselves just copy & paste information from their web articles which doesn’t answer what I need to actually do or if it will work.

I’ve used Tado for years now and have been very happy with the system.

Let me summarise my current setup and what I’m trying to get an answer to:

- Tado is currently configured in 10 rooms.

- In total, there are currently 12 radiators TRVs, 1 extension kit. 1 internet bridge. 8 wireless thermostats/air sensors.

- The extension will add 3 new rooms, 4 new radiators TRVs (one per new room and an additional one in an existing room) and 3 new wireless air sensors, which all require adding to Tado.

- In a reply from Tado, they stated that only 10 rooms can communicate with a zone controller.

- So I asked what a zone controller is and how I can buy another. Again, just a copy and paste from another web article which doesn’t answer anything explictly.

My main question is, how do I add these 3 new rooms to Tado, and get Tado to successfully control them? Or is it not possible?

cheers, Bizzle.

Answers

• wateroakley
    wateroakley ✭✭✭
    Options

@Bizzle This is a number counting exercise … 10 and 25 …

It sounds like your 10 rooms are 10 zones. That is good, the maximum number of 10 zones.

With your Tado products, this adds up 21 or 22 devices. That is good, the maximum is 25 devices.

Tick … so far …

Your extension will add 3 new rooms. That blows the zone limit if 10. You’ll have to think about making some rooms ‘independent’. That’s a ‘smart-ish’ dumb TRV that will schedule the day/time/temperature, but will not call for heat.

Your proposed number of devices is 28 or 29. That blows the device limit of 25. You’ll need to think through the room temperature logic and practicality of wireless room stats vs TRV for temperature measuring. I’d be thinking of keeping the same number of wireless stats and using more TRVs as the room temperature measurement.

Next, your extension may walk into unexpected connectivity issues?

Last possibility, that I have read, is that Tado support may be able to get around the 10 zone or 25 device limits by configuring an extra zone controller for you, ie configuring a second wireless receiver or wired room stat?

HTH

• Bizzle
    Options

Thanks for the reply.

You’ll have to think about making some rooms ‘independent’. That’s a ‘smart-ish’ dumb TRV that will schedule the day/time/temperature, but will not call for heat.

Forgive my stupidness, but what use is that? Not relating to my setup, just in general?

Next, your extension may walk into unexpected connectivity issues?

It’s fairly central to the rest of the house, so should be fine.

Your proposed number of devices is 28 or 29. That blows the device limit of 25. You’ll need to think through the room temperature logic and practicality of wireless room stats vs TRV for temperature measuring.

Yeah, I’ve already been thinking of merging some rooms together and also going back to only having the TRVs in some rooms instead of TRVs + air sensors.

Last possibility, that I have read, is that Tado support may be able to get around the 10 zone or 25 device limits by configuring an extra zone controller for you, ie configuring a second wireless receiver or wired room stat?

Thanks. Maybe I should contact support rather than the chat, which was where the copy & paste responses were coming from.

One of the new rooms is very near where the boiler is, could I put a wired thermostat on the wall in the new room, run the cable through the wall and connect to the boiler, which could then also call for heat? If so, then I could get the builders to run a cable to each of the rooms (as I’m cabling up ethernet per room anyway, so running one more cable is of no consequence)

• FFM
    FFM ✭✭
    Options

"If so, then I could get the builders to run a cable to each of the rooms (as I’m cabling up ethernet per room anyway, so running one more cable is of no consequence)"

You need one wired thermostat to talk to your boiler. That is it. You cannot have anything else cabled. The cabled one will get a signal to heat from the other Tado devices.

• wateroakley
    wateroakley ✭✭✭
    Options

The TRVs can be set so they call'call for heat from the 'zone controller'. When set to 'No Zone Controller (Independent)' your room will rely on another room to 'call for heat'.

• Bizzle
    Options
    Thanks for the explanation