Leave the valves opened in 1, 2 or 3 gears

Options

Nowadays we can close the valve (OFF) or open it fully (25º), and the control is based only in the temperature that the valve is measuring. The thing is that in my area where it below 0º at night, the valve is constantly opening and closing, with the noise of the small engine attached. To avoid this noise, the idea is to set the engine/open of the valve to a certain (pre-established) middle position, in the same way as Tado does when it reaches the desire temperature.

The benefits of this could be to have a constant flow of water but not the maximum, what it traduces in a more comfortable night sleep. I think it is not very difficult for tado software to implement something like this, but we need to be a big amount of people with the same requirement to make it possible.

8 votes

Active · Last Updated

Comments

• escrinser
    Options

Great idea! I hope they think about it. This is like having full control of our valves in our hands.

• GrayDav4276
    GrayDav4276 ✭✭✭
    Options

What you're asking for (at night) is a tado SRT that acts like a "dumb/non smart" TRV which will always stay at the set opening.

Therefore whenever a tado thermostat places a request to your boiler for more heat.......the boiler will fire up producing more heat available to your radiators.......however there will be no tado valve opening on that radiator. You will get a warmer radiator without the annoying motor noise as the valve is opened.

I have removed all 10 of my tado SRT's from my radiators (not solely for this reason) and replaced them with my original "dumb" TRV's. I now control my setup with 1 tado Wireless Thermostat and 1 tado Wireless Temperature Sensor.........so no noisy valves any more, and a system that operates in a more "intelligent" manner........sometimes "dumb" is actually smarter than "smart" imho.

• mperedim
    Options

To some extent the problem is that we want to have our cake and eat it. For example during night I want my upper floor valves, where the bedrooms are located, to be "dumb" [so as to minimize noise], whereas my lower floor valves to remain smart and temperature-driven [so as to prevent unnecessary heating of living room and other areas and limit consumption].

Not that Tado is going to do anything about it unfortunately

• FFM
    FFM ✭✭
    Options

Just curious. In our former apartment, we could hear the TRV open and close but it was barely noticeable. Like yes, you could hear it but moving a blanket was almost louder. So for you guys, is it the TRV or does the radiator make noises? Our TRV are 1-3 years old...

New apartment, totally different. Top floor and more audible bubbling and whatnot. But there is virtually no heating happening (two C less than during the day) because it just doesn't get cold fast enough for us to hear it (it is not loud enough to wake anyone up).

Both old houses (1850 and 1910).