Why not ditch Tado?

Options
I can see from this thread that, like me, there are a huge number of people with the same issue as me: the system going offline all the time. This obviously renders the system useless and I’ll be replacing it with a system that actually works. If Tado were decent they’d issue a refund… I’ve tried everything including the use of smart plugs and multiple repositioning of my receiver and bridge. Enough is now enough.

Answers

• GrayDav4276
    Options
    Well said ...............👏
  • hugbilly
    hugbilly ✭✭✭
    edited February 27
    Options

It would be interesting to know the numbers and proportion of dissatisfied tadoº customers.

My son in law lives in a modest new build, has two wired thermostats + TRVs for his two zone and HW combi setup and has had no difficulties whatsoever. My own house is larger and the Y plan system has suffered from the common range problems which meant I needed to "re-engineer" several times before achieving reasonable stability.

But it seems people are remarkably resistant to swapping systems, if you visit the Hive forum you will encounter people who for years have suffered the hopeless Heat on Demand system which, from personal experience I know, really does not work and yet they persist in trying to make it do so.

I guess cost is the major factor . . .

• cuke2u
    Options

It's biased though, only those who have issues generally post on forums asking for help, whereas those who haven't do not. Thus a 'huge number of people' having issues in reality is probably a handful compared to those who don't.

If you go to any forum you'll get the same.

In my very large house with solid brick interior walls the system is working fine and has been for sometime now. So I am currently satisfied with it's performance but it could be improved, like any.

• Jimsky
    Options

I'm on the verge of jacking it all in - I'm not in a massive house, I've tried everything - long leads on the bridge, powerline adapters, placing everywhere. Things can work for a day to two and then a room goes offline - sometimes it comes back. I'm currently working in my offlice and have had to take the valve off to get heat in to the room - the technology is not ready. Spent best part of £1,500 on this and for what - a load of grief and unfulfilled expectation - Buyer beware!!!!!

• FFM
    FFM ✭✭
    Options

Yeah, I doubt there is a huge number. Tado worked for me in two apartments without any issues. Both two floors... The people you see on here with issues are what? 10? 20? That is not significant for any company unless it is an easy fix or workaround.

• SPT
    SPT ✭✭
    Options
    @Jimsky why don't you have 2 routers transmitting the same SSID? But I suppose the issue is gonna be the wireless bridge and distance between that and the radiator TRV... Can you demand a refund from Tado??
  • FFM
    FFM ✭✭
    Options

"Had to take the valve off to get heat"

Just a curious question. Why did you have to take it off? Even disconnected or no bridge at all, if it is just by itself it is a temp-controlled valve, no? Just set it to x degrees and if it goes? Not remote controlled by any means but it is not like offline = cold room per se. Or did I misunderstand what you were saying?

• JonB3530
    Options
    It’s a pile of rubbish, wish I’d gone elsewhere
  • Jimsky
    Options

I went to the expense of connecting all of my TRVs to their own wireless sensor on the wall so it measures heat at a good location and so set child lock on all of the radiator valves - that's what drew me to the system. I look at my phone now and everything is working well - but not explained is why a room went offline last night and a 2 am - finding the towel rail was hot I had to go to the boiler room and cut the electricity to it to turn the heating off - clearly the last message the room gave before going offline was to heat the room. It would be nice if on the main controller there was a simple mechnical 'boiler off' switch for when the comms goes down. I now turn off the power to my boiler when I go on holiday becuase I can't trust the system not to turn it on, and leave it on.

I assume the core problem must be radio interferance - the bridge is ideally mounted in the only location where everything can be on-line. Myenergi products operate on the same wavelength but fortunately you can change channels on those so hopefully they are not a problem. I suspect the microwave might be causing issues, and possibly LED lightbulbs that can cause a lot of RF noise. Why do I know all of this .... because I bought TADO .... I don't want to know about these things, I want the system to be so boring I never have to think about it.

• johnbur
    johnbur ✭✭✭
    Options
    Put it all on ebay (plenty of poor delusional people that will buy it) and start again with a decent system
  • FFM
    FFM ✭✭
    Options

Ok, I was still wondering about the "Had to take the valve off to get heat" that you quoted.

"I went to the expense of connecting all of my TRVs to their own wireless"

• I believe that is what most do. 2-3 radiators in the room. Add one thermostat and set that as the temp source. I have that in two rooms and w.rks great for us.

"why a room went offline last night and a 2 am"

• Yeah, should not have anything to do with the temp sensor. You are saying, it dropped the connection at 2 AM and then went into a crazy heating mode? Now, I have used Tado 3-4 years and I am no expert. I believe however that the TRV is set to a specific temperature and IF it goes offline, for whatever reason, that temp is kept. So if it goes offline at 2AM, maybe it was set to 18C (night mode) and was supposed to be 21C at 8:30 AM, it won't do that cause it is offline. It does not explain why the towel rack is hot. Also, if just the TRV is offline, it cannot update the heater (and change the heat or not heart order). But, if it was set to heat, the heater would heat but the TRV/radiator should not be hot (won't accept the hot water). The heater will have some useless heat cycles but nothing crazy. I am not sure if your controller is offline but the TRV is still connected, that problem would not happen either (if I am not mistaken).

"I assume the core problem must be radio interference"

• The microwave operates in a Faraday cage so there should be nothing coming out (unless it is broken) - also who was microwaving at 2 AM? Tado use 6LoWPAN on 868 MHz. As this is also used by Zigbee etc. I assume newer models of LED do not blast out interference (they are controlled by that too in some cases). I am thinking LED Interence is a thing of the past but I may be mistaken (source: not an electrician).

• AndyShrimp
    Options
    I’m a recent user of Tado and it’s a little disconcerting that Tado have 99 unanswered queries! Where’s the support Tado?
  • hugbilly
    hugbilly ✭✭✭
    Options

Here's the email address of the support team:

operator@tado-844a35e31252.intercom-mail.com

• andymcintosh1
    Options
    That email address @hugbilly looks like a spam address. Sure that’s the legitimate support email address?
  • cuke2u
    cuke2u ✭✭
    Options

This is a community support site answered by other Tado customers..

• FFM
    FFM ✭✭
    Options

I think Tado has an account with intercom-mail.com. They were given the account details (tado-844a35e31252) and neglected to incorporate them into their existing IT system. It looks a tiny bit amateurish if you ask me.

• Jimsky
    Options

Becuase I have now had a number of experiences where an offline room is keeping the heating on overnight or over the weekend when it is not needed I have decided to put a kill switch between the boiler wiring and Tado wall mounted controller next to the wall mounted unit - that will at least save me going outside at night to the garage or fuse box to turn off the electricity supply to the boiler to shut it down. With this sort of uncontrolled behaviour a manual override is needed - they should really include one on the wall mounted controller.

I see the responses above as I try to find out why comms is so poor - I have identified and replaced a dimmer switch which was not LED compatible in one room that might have been causing some RF noise - it was causing the bulbs to buzz a little on start up. I've retuned the myenergi devices to another channel. The bridge has been tried in every possible location with long leads, powerline and alternative power - running out of options.

It has settled down a bit recently - not perfect but better for now.

Should I just scrap it - probably yes - but from reviewing other products sites - I'm not sure any of these systems work very well.

• hugbilly
    hugbilly ✭✭✭
    Options
    No, @andymcintosh1, that’s the correct email address, I’ve used it myself many times . . .
  • jimbonakasaki
    Options
    I have just posted along the similar lines, the system is not fit for purpose. Section 14 (2A) and (2B) of sale of goods act cover this and if enough of us quote these regulations tado will have to pay attention. It does not meet the standards a reasonable person would regard as satisfactory and is not fit for purpose for which goods of the kind in question are commonly supplied.

I’ve invested over £1k in equipment that’s only reasonable use is a paper weight for when the windows are open (a function that does not require a subscription from other providers)!

Rant over!