Can I completely remove the old time clock?

Options

Hi, I am sure this has been discussed many times, I have read numerous threads but I cannot see any with my specific setup...

I have a 3 zone plus hot water system, currently time managed by a Timeguard 7 day 4 zone controller and 3 wired room stats controlling 3 motorised valves. A 4th motorised valve controls hot water.

Below is the wiring behind the timeguard, simple enough, +, -, zone1, comm, zone2, zone3, comm, zone4-water

But where are the room stat wires coming from?

I have a wireless starter kit and a wireless stat to make a start and see what works.

It seems like I could deal with a zone plus hot water with the wireless receiver. Where would the other 2 zones go? could I leave them managed (always on) wired to the old time clock? and then replace the wired stats with tado wired stats?

All help gratefully received!

Answers

• davidlyall
    Options

I think the answer is yes.

The Tado wireless receiver can only control a single CH zone plus HW so you would need to wire up CH zone 1 and HW to the receiver terminals. For CH zones 2 & 3, you should bridge the wires from live to ON and use Tado wired thermostats to manage the switching of those zones.

• alimacc
    Options

Thanks David,

After a little more head scratching and research I removed the time clock.

I linked 2 zones to the + so that they are always getting power but will be switched by the thermostat in the room, I then replaced these with wired Tado's

I then wired the lounge zone and hot water to the wireless receiver and cam control it from the app/stat.

Note: one issue that I had that I have not seen mentioned was the 2 new wired stats automatically choose to be zone controllers and activate the wireless receiver heat zone (the Lounge) so I had to manually remove this so that they only activate their own zone and allow power to the valve.