Bridge lost cloud access after 4 years

Options

Woke up this morning to no heating or hot water, looks like the bridge lost cloud access last night.

I've tried:

Rebooting my ONT (BT FTTP connection) - this was done after each other change

Rebooting my router (which is a Huawei AX3 pro) - this was done after each other change

Rebooting the bridge - this was done after each other change

Changing the power supply (the 'brick' and the USB cable

Changing the ethernet cable

Changing the ethernet port I connect the bridge to on the Hub

Changing the DNS server I use (normally I use Cloudfare on 1.1.1.1, I switched to Google on 8.8.8.8)

Disabling IPv6

Moving the bridge (though I don't see how this could possible affect the wired cloud connectivity)

None of these have made any difference, no other connectivity issues, all my devices, both wired and wireless, connect reliably as normal. All these changes have now been undone (ie I'm back to a 'known good' setup, so I can be sure I haven't introduced additional issues in testing.

Weirdly the cloud connectivity did return (for about an hour) after I changed the DNS server (though I think this was just coincidence) - at this time many of the thermostats and TRVs were having issues connecting to the bridge so I (stupidly) reset the bridge again. No cloud connection again after that.

Things that have NOT changed:

I have not changed my internet provider (my ISP has been BT for many year, I have been on a 1Gb FTTP connection for many months)

I have not changed my router - I've been using the Huawei AX3 pro for years, the firmware hasn't changed since 2021, I haven't changed any of the settings

I haven't changed the ONT

Nothing in the Tado setup has changed, nothing has been added, removed or physically moved

I'm currently in a state where the power and router lights are on solid but the cloud light is still flashing away. Weirdly some of the rooms on the app show as connected - see 1st pic (it appears rooms that only have a TRV show a temp, rooms that have a wireless thermostat show as offline). I imagine all that is a red herring though - I suspect the app just can't see them as the bridge isnt connected to the cloud. Who knows how it's seeing the TRV temps - or if they just default to showing the last known temps.

See pic 2 for the devices it shows as offline.

Final weird thing is despite being pretty stable before (no lost connectivity I've noticed in a couple of years) the connectivity seemed to become patchy before disappearing completely (see 3rd pic)

Really looking for any help or suggestions possible as, from what I've read here, the Tado support isn't the best (I've logged a chat anyway, no-

one there today though)

Comments

• I have also checked the IP of the bridge (has always been static, I checked there were no conflicts and tried DHCP - No change, so now back to static)

I've also replaced all the batteries (that's a lot of batteries) again, I don't see how that could have been the issue but it's another thing ruled out I guess.

The wireless thermostats can be used to set the temp (despite the app saying they are offline). It acknowledges the command, opens the TRV(s) in the appropriate room and calls for heat correctly.

I can't use the app though and (I'm assuming) scheduled changes won't work with no cloud connection.
  • hugbilly
    hugbilly ✭✭✭
    Options

Perhaps the bridge has simply developed a fault . . .

• Scrawf
    Scrawf
    edited February 24
    Options
    No it’s probably not a fault it’s just unreliability in the Tado system. The Bridge is the weak link. It’s not capable of recovering from an internet outage, or having too many devices attached. Once it looses connectivity it’s very had to reconnect it. TADO have know about this for years. If you Google this you’ll find loads of threads bemoaning this problem and still TADO do nothing about it. It’s not funny when you wake up to a cold house and no hot water but Tado and their rubbish support teams couldn’t give a toss! People are spending hundreds of pounds on a system that is unreliable and simply does not work! When are Tado going to do something about this problem? Why is it that we are not allowed to have more than one bridge per account to act as a signal booster?
  • hugbilly
    hugbilly ✭✭✭
    Options
    I agree regarding the signal booster etc but my bridge has always managed to recover itself after an internet outage . . .
  • Scrawf
    Options
    Well that’s good then but yet again this morning I woke up to a cold house. The Bridge had been working fine all day yesterday. Disconnected over night. No heating again this morning. Simply not acceptable. I’ve tried everything people have mentioned in this forum. Moving the Bridge to different locations. No small feat as you need both power and an Ethernet connection. Setting the switch port to 10baseT half Duplex. I’ve even tried moving the wireless receiver by extending its cables. It works fine for a bit than fails. Tado support are as good as useless and take ages to respond. Usually over 12 hours. Not much help if your heating is off. Then they just refer you to the same old support pages that don’t really help. This is the second house I’ve had Tado in and it was relatively reliable in our old house so why not here? That’s why we need the option of more than one Bridge or a signal booster device to improve connectivity. Like Zigbee or WiFi. Other systems have this ability. Sonos for example. Why not Tado. It’s about time Tado addressed this problem!