Does Tado (wired) work as a dumb thermostat without the bridge?

Options

I'm just curious, if anything happens to my bridge, e.g. my cat chews through the wires, can I still control my heating (temperature, on/off) using the wired Tado thermostat?

Best Answer

• BananaBread
    Answer ✓
    Options

I couldn’t find the answer to this question after days of research and posting on numerous forums, so I ended up buying Tado and testing it for myself.

The answer to my question for anyone else looking back here is yes. I unplugged the bridge and was able to turn my heating on and off, and adjust the temperature manually using the wired Tado thermostat just like with any non-smart thermostat.

The schedule doesn’t work without the bridge, but I already knew that and it wasn't what I was asking.

Answers

• royi
    royi ✭✭
    Options

Why don't you test it and disconnect the bridge, then you'll have your answer and report back.

• BananaBread
    Options

I would but I haven't bought Tado yet.

The answer to this question will indirectly answer some more technical questions that I have about the operation of Tado, and ultimately determine whether I buy it. I have been trying to find answers for days and I have posted in several other places. I would really appreciate it if someone knows the answer.

• royi
    royi ✭✭
    Options

You mentioned "my bridge" so I assumed you alread owned it.

• davidlyall
    Options

The answer is. It depends!

In most systems, you must have a working bridge so that all devices can communicate. Even if your internet is down, as long as the bridge is up, you can manually control heating.

However, if your system is very simple (bridge & wired smart thermostat) and the bridge is down, in theory you should still be able to manually control the temp on the 'stat as it will directly control the relay to turn on/off the heating

• maancame
    Options
    Just found this thread online. My bridge lost power yesterday evening and i woke up with a cold house. I would have expected the individual wired thermostats and trvs (i have 12in total) to continue their programming but they didn't. And I also got no alert from the app saying my bridge was down. Only saw the problem when opened the app and saw all rooms were in grey. Any chance tado can/will fix this?
  • royi
    royi ✭✭
    Options

That's the downside of Tado and I don't think there's a fix. I'm sure this will be rectified in the new version. But how many people will continue to invest in this ecosystem?

• hugbilly
    hugbilly ✭✭✭
    Options
    All the devices communicate through the bridge. . .
  • davidlyall
    Options

Tado needs internet access working in order for the schedules to work. The individual devices don't store the schedules. If the internet/bridge goes down, the devices will continue at whatever their last setting was