Multi zoning

Options
I have a tado system myself but one of my customers wants their changed to a tado system, they have two zones for their heating and one hot water zone… am I right in thinking they’ll need two of the wireless v3 kits to make this work? (They currently have two wireless programmable stats and a single channel programmer for the hot water)…

Answers

• johnnyp78
    johnnyp78 ✭✭✭
    edited January 15
    Options

The two current wireless stats are confusing. Usually it’s one wireless starter kit - wireless receiver for one heating channel and hot water, then one additional smart thermostat to the other heating zone valve. If they want to keep their stats wireless you would need an additional wireless temp sensor on top of that. Presumably something is wired to each zone valve in the current installation?

• wateroakley
    Options

One answer is a wireless starter kit, CH and HW; plus a wired room stat for the other CH zone.

The second answer is a wireless starter kit, CH and HW; plus a second wireless receiver for the other CH zone.

it’s all about the wiring.

• johnnyp78
    johnnyp78 ✭✭✭
    Options
    @wateroakley Unless tado has changed its policy it doesn’t officially support two wireless receivers on one installation so I would be wary of that.
  • Plumberbish
    Options
    Hmm it definitely needs to be two wireless stats as there are no cables pulled in (and running new cables isn’t going to happen lol!) I would expect from a wiring point of view that I’d need the second receiver to send a switch live to the second zone valve… wonder if I have to bite the bullet and buy one then temporarily wire one to my own system to see if the app can handle both at once or not 🤔
  • johnnyp78
    johnnyp78 ✭✭✭
    edited January 15
    Options
    Just just a smart thermostat, there’s no issue with using them. One smart thermostat to one zone valve, wireless receiver to the other. As I said if you want to keep the current set up of two wireless thermostats you will also need an additional wireless temperature sensor on top of that.
  • davidlyall
    Options

You mention it needs to be wireless stats as no wires in place at the moment?

Can you describe how the system is currently wired as with two CH zones, there must be wiring from zone valves back to some kind of switching. Is it currently a 3 channel controller and wireless stats connecting to that?

• balintn
    Options

I wanted to ask the same (OK, very similar) question, so I'll piggyback on this one.

2 zones + hot water are the same as in the original question, the controller is different (ESI 3 24/2, 2 zone + HW controller, 2 zone valves).

I just installed a Tado Wireless kit to solve heating problems in the bedrooms. I liked it so much, that I wired the hot water control as well, so far so good.

Now, (because I like it :-) I'd like to use tado for the other zone too. I now understand the wiring, voltages, switches, cabling, and I'm comfortable doing the wiring myself.

However, I can't see a workable solution, let me run it by you all:

Option 1: add another wireless receiver to control the second zone. The setup would be like this:

- 1x Internet bridge

- 1x wireless receiver with 3 smart thermostats (1 wireless + 2 radiator ones) using zone A, valve A, heating water circle A

- 1x wireless receiver with 5 smart thermostats (1 wireless + 4 radiator ones) using zone B, valve B, heating water circle B

Understanding the processes so far the critical point would be that everything would be paired with the internet bridge, and the thermostats would not know which receiver to connect to, right?

Option B: add a competely separate wireless kit:

- 2x internet bridges (A and B)

- 1x wireless receiver with thermostats paired with internet bridge A

- 1x wireless receiver with thermostats paired with internet bridge B

... but in this case I wouldn't be able to control them from the app at the same time, right?

• balintn
    Options

I have one idea, but I'd need the opinion of someone who has experience with heating systems, can you please tell me what you think?

My setup again:

• 2 zones heating plus hot water, meaning I have two hot water valves, independently switched in the old system.
    • I have one thermostat for each zone in a room with a radiator without a radiator-mounted thermostat
    • I have radiator thermostats on all the other radiators
    • I believe, there is a single pump for the 2 zones

Proposed solution:

• connect Tado's single valve controller to BOTH valves
    • install a smart thermostat on ALL radiators

This way, whenever a smart thermostat would request water, it would start the pump, open BOTH valves, but the smart thermostats would only allow the flow through the radiators where hot heating water is actually needed. The other valve would also open at the same time, but water wouldn't flow, if there are no radiator thermostats open.

Is there anything wrong with this?

• davidlyall
    davidlyall ✭✭✭
    edited January 19
    Options

@balintn

Both options in the first message won't work as you can't have two wireless receivers on one account and the second option would require separate accounts to manage the separate zones

Your suggestion in the post above would work. The only downsides are

1. Unnecessary operation of zone valve if the other zone is calling for heat
    2. Pumping of a higher volume of water so slightly higher energy costs but this would likely be offset by the savings made from not installing additional Tado equipment to manage the zone valves separately
  • Plumberbish
    Options
    Thank you everyone for your help so far! I’ve just got it all wired up today, so the wireless receiver for one zone and hw work fine (although played silly buggers initially losing Wi-Fi connection) but struggling with the wired smart stat… I’ve wired it so it has a perm live and it’s switched live opens the zone valve it should control, then on the app added a wireless temp sensor as the measuring device (both set as the same room name) but the wireless temp sensor only changes what temp is seen on the app and doesn’t actually make the wired smart thermostat send power to the zone valve… it’s like the wired thermostat needs to be set as a zone controller but I don’t seem to have that as an option 😭
    HEEEEELLLLP
    Cheers guys