Will this setup do what I need it to do?

Options
Hi Guys,

I’ve been reading up on all the Tado stuff for the last few days and I think I know what I need but just wanted an opinion or two on whether I’m on the right lines before I go ahead and purchase.

I live in a recently built house with three floors including a dormer. The boiler is Ideal with two danfoss (TP5001 I think) thermostats on two circuits (one downstairs and one in the dormer) controlled by motorised valves on the middle floor.

Basically I hate the danfoss thermostat and want it gone. I’m not particularly fussed about being able to control all the individual room temperatures via the smart radiator valves (yet) and only really want the ease of use and functionality on the smart thermostats and see how I go.

From what I gather, to achieve this I’ll need the wired starter kit with the wired add on. Essentially doing a straight forward swap on both thermostats and everything will work just as it does now but with all the ‘smart’ features. Is this correct?

However, The other option in considering is still having a wired Tado upstairs, but having a wireless one downstairs. As my thermostat downstairs is on the wall right next to my front door and because this is a naturally colder part of the house, it therefore seems to keep the heating on for longer than needed. So I’m thinking of have the wireless sensor in the living room. But I’m struggling to get my head around how the wireless one works.

Am I correct in thinking that the wireless sensor is paired with a wired receiver box installed where the old thermostat was located which simply works the same as the wired one by sending commands to the boiler based on the temperature of the room the sensor is in, not the room with the wired box? And will the receiver need an additional power supply from what’s already wired? I’m aware that the internet bridge thing does.

There is also a radiator opposite the downstairs thermostat. Which has no adjustable valve on it (called TRV I think?). I had to do some research on why this is and found that it’s essentially a failsafe whereby if the valve was on e.g 1 or 0 then the heating could technically stay on forever. It also apparently acts as a bypass, although I’m not totally sure what function a bypass has. By having a wireless sensor not in this room, as long as valve on the radiator in the living room is on, then I assume there wouldn’t be an issue?

This is my first house and I’m still learning about how my heating system works, so forgive me if some of this is obvious!

Not expecting many/if any replies as It feels like I’ve ended up writing war and peace, but any response would be appreciated! Thanks!

Answers

• johnnyp78
    johnnyp78 ✭✭✭
    Options
    You seem to have it all correct. Radiator bypasses are used to avoid pressure build up in systems with trvs, so even if all the trvs are closed water can still circulate if the boiler’s running.

Those danfoss thermostats are really counter intuitive to use. Not surprised you want to get rid of them. You haven’t said whether you have a hot water tank. If you do that adds an extra layer of complexity if you want to replace your existing programmer. If you have a combi boiler then it’s a straight swap with your two existing wired thermostats, or as you said one wired thermo and one wireless receiver and wireless temp sensor.