Not sure what kit I need!?

Options
Hi,

I’m interested in moving to Tado but I’m not sure what kit to buy.

I have a combination boiler heating system with a wired thermostat. It is not a combi boiler. I have a separate hot water tank. It all goes into a Honeywell controller.

I’m confused as to whether to buy the wired or wireless kit. If I buy wired, it looks like I won’t get hot water control. If I buy wireless I’m not sure how this will work with my current wired thermostat. Do I need a mix of both?

Anyone else have this setup and manage to figure this out?

Thanks so much for any advice :)

Ben

Answers

• johnnyp78
    Options
    You would need a wireless starter kit if you want hot water control. Your current thermostat would be unwired and removed. If you just wanted tado to control your heating you could do a straight swap with a wired starter kit and put a Tado smart thermostat where your current thermostat is.
  • royi
    Options

Bentitus I have a system boiler and control the heating an hot water with the Wireless v3. If you can take a picture of your exiting setup. I'm we'll be able to assist with your set up. It took me approx to set up mine in January.

• wateroakley
    Options

Most likely a wireless starter kit. Which model of Honeywell controller and room stat do you have. If it’s eg ST9400, the wireless receiver will replace the controller. You’ll bridge the wiring on the old wired thermostat.

• I have 2x wired tado + the wireless extension kit to control hot water
  • bentitus
    Options

Thank you all for the support - you've been very helpful! My apologies for the slow response, I was away from home over the last few days.

@royi - appreciate the offer of help. I've taken some pictures of my current equipment. Its all wired, nothing is wireless.

@wateroakley - You were 100% correct the heating controller is a Honeywell ST9400 (Not sure what the c on the end denotes though).

Based on the help you've provided it sounds like the wireless v3 bundle is what I should shoot for.

• wateroakley
    Options

Your photo looks like a Worcester-bosch boiler and an old thermostat. ? We used the wireless starter bundle for our rellie with a similar setup.

• royi
    royi ✭✭
    edited January 2
    Options

@bentitus I had the same Honeywell program controller and the process was quite straight forward, but that would depend on your wiring.

• hugbilly
    hugbilly ✭✭✭
    Options

Are you sure the boiler's not a combi, I see it has a hot water temperature control . . .

• bentitus
    Options
    @hugbilly - I’m not sure to be honest. I’m rubbish at this. The sticker says this. GREENSTAR 181 SYSTEM Mk IV Condensing boiler. Model 41-311-86.
  • hugbilly
    hugbilly ✭✭✭
    Options

If the boiler fires when a hot tap is turned on then it's a combi . . .