Tado TRV periodically open\close

Options

During night time, the boiler is off, so there should be no need to schedule the TRV to turn off heating. For this reason my only schedule starts at 00:00 and ends at 24:00 with my desired temperature.

During nigh time, the TRV periodically "works"... you can hear it, you can hear the motor spinning.

What is the reason for that? The valve should stay totally OPEN

Comments

• davidlyall
    Options

What does the graph show?

Is the temperature dropping in the room and the valve is opening to allow heat through? As the boiler is off, and no heat is provided the temperature will continue to drop and the valve opens further?

Why do you think the valve would be completely open?

• steff70
    steff70
    edited December 2023
    Options

at the beginning of the setup, I had 2 "window": daily, from 6 AM and to 10 PM, set @ 21°... nightly, from 10 PM to 6 AM next day, set to OFF.

Since the central common boiler starts at 6 AM and stops at 10 PM, I changed the schedule of Tado TRV: just one shcedule for night and day set @ 21°.

Now... during the day TRVs open and close the hot water from the boiler to the radiator to keep the correct temperature and... it works.

During the night, since TRVs are set @ 21° but there is no hot water from the boiler, I assume that TRVs are always totally open since they try to keep 21° without success since there is no water from the boiler, but... every 30 minutes I hear the TRV motor spinning up and down and this is a nonsense.

• gary333
    Options

Can you repost the graph with the 3 wavey line button pressed?

• steff70
    Options

What is the meaning of the colors?

• johnnyp78
    johnnyp78 ✭✭✭
    edited December 2023
    Options
    On a tado trv the colours indicate the amount the valve is open or closed. Dark grey should be fully open or close to it. My guess is that the tado trv is responding to temperature changes overnight and is adjusting the valve to be more slightly more open or closed. I can’t explain why that would be necessary though. It might be that it’s trying to recalibrate because it can’t understand why the temp is dropping when the valve is fully open. I’m assuming the room is set with no zone controller?
  • steff70
    Options

In the room there are two TRV since there are two radiators and there is one remote temperature sensor.

The behaviour the same, I mean that the motors of both the TRV "works" up and down.

I think that is is a waste of battery... so maybe it is better to restore the original setting, the one that put TRV in OFF status during the night.

• johnnyp78
    Options
    Yeah you might be better off doing that, it sounds like the temperature dropping is confusing it.