Wired Controllers Status

Options

I'm really enjoying updating our heating to Tado. It is a mixture of TRVs and Underfloor heating. There is something that is really bugging me. The existing underfloor heating controllers that I have are Normally Open, so easy to replace with a wired Tado controller.

In the app, there are multiple levels of on. This makes sense with a TRV, but doesn't with a Wired. For example, in the screenshot attached, you can see the multiple shades of grey, but the thermostat only has an on or off. Same goes the individual room view, where it shows 3 wavey lines, in my example attached there are two of the three lines highlighted.

What's going on?

Best Answers

• johnnyp78
    johnnyp78 ✭✭✭
    edited December 2023 Answer ✓
    Options
    Tado isn’t an on/off thermostat, it will try to use modulation to get as close to the target temperature as it can (in theory). On a digital connection like Opentherm it would use actual modulation where it sets the heating max flow temp according to demand. On a switched relay system it simulates modulation by cycling the boiler to avoid overshooting. As far as I know on a switched relay system the three flames show the frequency that Tado is cycling the boiler, so one would be mostly off, two would be a mixture of off and on and three would be mostly on.
  • johnnyp78
    johnnyp78 ✭✭✭
    edited December 2023 Answer ✓
    Options
    That is what it should do when it’s working well. On a ufh room some people find if you turn on early start the room is more likely to heat up in time, though yours looks like it’s heating up pretty fast anyway.

Answers

• That’s interesting and makes sense.
    Makes me wonder if the Tado system learns how fast it takes to warm up a room, based on history, historical temperatures etc.