Can I Use Tado TRV with Other Systems

Options

I currently have a 3 zone system controlled by a Hive setup, and it works well (I didn't know about Tado at the time it was installed). I have also invested in other aspects of my Hive system and am reluctant to get rid of it.

Now what I need to install are 23 TRV's. The thing is that a lot of them are to be on radiators behind radiator covers so will need some way of the TRV measuring room temperature with a remote thermostat dedicated to each individual TRV, or dedicated to a group of TRV's in a room.

Hive do TRV's but not with dedicated remote thermostats.

Myson do TRV's with a capillary remote thermostat, that might be a solution if nothing else available. Downside is if I want to adjust a TRV at anytime, I will have to remove the radiator cover.

So I see, I think, that Tado do indeed provide TRV's that allow a dedicated "add-on" remote thermostat. Is this the case?

If it is, I will presumably need some sort of starter kit, but I don't need or want that starter kit connected to and controlling my boiler and the 3 zones.

I just want Tado TRV's with dedicated remote thermostats for each/group of TRV's.

Is this possible? If it is, what starter kit should I order?

Many thanks

Geoff

Best Answers

• wateroakley
    wateroakley ✭✭✭
    edited December 2023 Answer ✓
    Options
    Your suggestion of a hybrid system would be subject to the limits of both systems.

Thoughts: First, use the Tado TRVs as ‘independent’. That gives you up to 25 devices. They won’t call for heat, simply act as smart ‘dumb’ TRVs with a temperature/time schedule for your rooms. Hive would have to ‘call for heat’.

Second, if your TRVs are behind covers, you’re best to combine them with a wireless room stat as the measuring device. Our rellie has one trv on a rad in an mdf case. We’ve not needed a wireless stat for that one.

Third, you’ve now looking at the limit of 25 devices. Assuming one rad in each room, thats 12 TRVs with 12 wireless stats. Assuming two rads in each room, that’s 16 TRVs and 8 wireless stats.

Last, if you have 23 rads, you’re going to have a very large home. I’d be very dubious that the Tado internet dongle wireless would cover all of your home.

We have 16 rads with a mix and match of 12 Tado TRVs, 2 wireless stats and a couple of dumb TRVs. I’d suggest your options will also be a mix and match.
  • hugbilly
    hugbilly ✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Whatever you do don’t invest in Hive TRVs, they are absolutely hopeless . . .
  • wateroakley
    wateroakley ✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options
    The internet dongle plugs into your router (or a network connection). It talks to the devices over wireless (not Wi-Fi) and the Tado servers (over the internet).

Many users find that the dongle wireless range can be problematic for them. The wireless works for me, except for the furthest room (our conservatory), where I left a dumb TRV on the rad. Works for our rellie too, plugged into a wireless extender upstairs, for their 3-storey Edwardian Villa.

Answers

• Geoff_S
    Options

Thank you, it didn't twig that a thermostat is of course a device along with the TRV as another device. I might be able to get away with it though as I could limit the number of radiators that I want to control with remote thermostats.

Your point on the dongle. What is this dongle? Is it part of a starter kit or does it just connect physically to my router?

Thanks

Geoff