Combining a wired thermostat with wireless receiver?

Options

I have an F&E system boiler comprising of:

• Kitchen: Gas Combi boiler with a wired thermostat in the living room
  • 1st floor: Hot water cylinder with wired hot water and heating controller
  • Attic: Cold water tank

I have purchased:

• 1 x Internet Bridge (to be placed in basement)
  • 1 x Wired thermostat to replace the living room wired thermostat on ground floor.
  • 1 x Wireless receiver for hot water control on 1st floor.
  • 13 x Radiator Valves
  • 3 x Wireless Thermostats for the rooms.

Question:

The heating engineer has told me this does not work. Combining the wired thermostat with wired receiver on the 1st floor.

Could you please confirm this? Can this be used in combination? If not, what is my best option?

Answers

• wateroakley
    Options

First, think about the internet bridge location. NOT in the basement, Put it centrally, e.g. on a middle floor. Some setups can use a wireless internet device with an ethernet port to attach the dongle?

The rest of your suggetstions are somewhat valid.

No idea about a wired thermostat and wired reciever. The wired suggestion does not make sense.

• johnnyp78
    Options
    From what I can see you don’t have a combi boiler, you have a system boiler. Your heating engineer sounds like they know what they’re talking about. If you’ve got a single heating zone house then you can’t wire in a smart thermostat and a wireless receiver to the boiler - you would probably just want a wireless receiver for heating and hot water control. You could use the smart thermostat wirelessly though.

Like @wateroakley says, don’t put the bridge in the basement.
  • davidlyall
    Options

Not to contradict @johnnyp78 but yes, it can work. If you can provide some additional information about the heating system it will help to understand what you're trying to achieve.

Normally you'd have wired smart thermostats in addition to a wireless receiver if your system has more than one physical heating zone. For example, the following is now common on new builds in the UK

Ground floor heating zone with motorised valve controlled by a wireless receiver

1st floor heating zone with motorised valve controlled by a wired thermostat

You can also add TRVs to the system and would set them so that ground floor has the wireless receiver as it's zone controller and 1st floor has the wired thermostat

If you also have underfloor heating zones then they would likely need wired smart thermostats to trigger their respective valves.

Bottom line is that it's not a simple yes/no answer

• Ok thanks for your help. Its an old heating system with single zone.

I will return one of the units the :(

• johnnyp78
    Options
    @davidlyall you’re not contradicting me - we’re talking about two slightly different systems. I was talking about a single zone heating house whereas you’re talking about one with zone valves.