I have a radiator and the thermostat regulator contains a remote sensor in it.

Options

I have a situation in my living room where there are two radiators controlled with one thermostat. The thermostat they have used looks like the one in the pictutre below and I would like to replace this one with tado smart thermostat and wondering how to include the remote sensor into the feed?

Is this even required in case of tado to ensure optimal heating from both radiators?

Answers

• If you install a two tado wireless thermostats in the room, one of the wireless thermostats will take the lead to control the temperature in the room. Of cause as you allude to the temperature sensor in the Tado thermostats will be situated right next to a radiator. Which is not the best place to situate a temperature sensor. If you want to place a temperature sensor in the room away from a radiator then the official way is to purchase a Tado wireless temperature sensor which will control the heating within the room. The disadvantage of this is that they cost quite a bit, something like €90 although sometimes you can get the cheaper in a sale. Also the take a device spot in the Tado network which is limited to I think 25 devices.

Another option for a remote temperature sensor is to look a third party sensor, the ambi wireless temperature sensor. The ambi device interfaces into the Tado system via the Tado API and adjusts the heating in the room to reach the temperature you set at the Tado thermostat. This is the less expensive option.

• samd
    samd ✭✭✭
    edited December 2023
    Options

@nimish You said I have a situation in my living room where there are two radiators controlled with one thermostat. So do we take it that one rad had no thermostat i.e. 2 lockshields and that you wish to retain that arrangement with just one tado smart stat?

If that is the case, before investing in a separate sensor AND if you are happy with how your current setup has heated your room then going smart should make no difference to the overall performance. You will, of course need to experiment with temperature measurement (tado) against your current number setting on the thermostat.

Temperature measurement at the rad with tado will not equal that at the armchair but you set the target temperature accordingly through measurement at the armchair and that can be as simple as a thermometer!!

I do not know how you could use your current sensor - sorry.