Two zones. One trying to control both??

Options
Set up before Tado: main house wireless sensor controlling radiators, wired sensor controlling underfloor heating in extension. Both zones worked independent of each other.

Now: Tado wireless main kit for main house and Tado wired extension kit for extension underfloor heating.
Wireless sensor controls the house radiators as expected BUT if the wired sensor triggers the underfloor heating the main house radiators also come on regardless of the wireless sensor. So the main house temp can already be above the set temp but the heating will come on if the wired extension sensor triggers the underfloor heating. Help! I can’t have the underfloor heating on without the radiators coming on. The main house is getting like a sauna! Why is this happening?

Answers

• davidlyall
    Options

Your system must have two motorised valves in order to physically split control of the system

I would assume that in the previous set up, the wireless sensor communicated back to a receiver which then controlled a valve for the rads while the wired sensor controlled the valve for the UFH

Sounds like in your new set up, you've disconnected the ability to control the valve for the radiators and it's potentially always open or wired to open at the same time as the UFH valve

In order to control two zones with Tado, you will need physical wiring to the valves. I would think that you will need a wired smart thermostat to replace the original UFH thermostat and a wireless receiver with wireless smart thermostat to control the radiators

• ts2907
    Options

Thank you so much for replying.

I literally replaced like for like. So the main house had a wireless one and I replaced it for a wireless Tado. The extension had a wired one and I replaced it for a wired Tado. What you have suggested is what we have - a wired Tado for the underfloor and a wireless Tado for the radiators.

If I put the old wired one back on to control the underfloor then the two zones operate independently. It is when I have the combination of two Tado sensors that it is going wrong. So it is something to do with the Tado system?

• davidlyall
    Options

On the previous setup, how did the wireless thermostat trigger the radiators? I would expect there was a receiver which had a relay to control a motorised valve

I believe what you would need is a wired smart thermostat where you originally had a wired thermostat for your UFH

Then, for your radiators, you'd have a wireless thermostat where the original one was and where your old wireless receiver was located you might have either

1. the extension kit if it's also near the boiler and replacing a programmer for your hot water OR
    2. another wired smart thermostat to act as the zone controller and relay for the radiator circuit

Do you want or need hot water control or is it a combi boiler system?

The bottom line is that for both circuits to operate independently, you must have separate valves which need physical connections to open/close them. A wireless thermostat can't do that on its own