Rechargeable batteries that work in Tado TRVs

Options

Probably useful to have a thread here with good/bad experiences of rechargeable batteries in the TRVs

Tado recommend Panasonic Eneloop 1900mAh as their physical dimensions closely match standard AA batteries

In two of my TRVs, I am using Energizer Recharge 2000mAh (all silver colour) batteries with no issues

I've also tried Energizer Recharge 1300mAh (silver with green top) and Varta Recharge Accu 2100mAh but they were both too tight

Comments

• Megalo
    Options
    Energizer's 2000 mAh are good I've got them in all my trvs and last a good long time between charges I use my Duracell 1 hour quick charger and doesn't take long to charge my trvs.

I have a spare set of Duracell accu 2500mAh which don't fit but I don't see much difference in battery life between them and Energizer's 2000 when using them in other power hungry devices.
  • mindstorm
    Options

Ikea Ladda ones fit as well. Suggestion elsewhere is they are re-badged Eneloop

• Noob
    Options
    I use a mix of the following batteries, they all fit and operate perfectly in my TRVs.

Panasonic Eneloop 1900 mAh

Panasonic Eneloop 2000 mAh

Panasonic Eneloop Pro 2500 mAh

IKEA LADDA 1900 mAh

IKEA LADDA 2450 mAh

Basically all (rebranded) Eneloops. The higher capacity ones last over a year in my case.

If you get short battery life, try some lubricant like WD40 on the radiator pins. Makes a big difference.
  • wateroakley
    wateroakley ✭✭✭
    Options

We use Panasonic eneloops across two family homes. 1900 mAH and 2000 mAH. They work.

• FFM
    FFM ✭✭
    Options

I use VARTA Recharge Accu Recycled. @davidlyall mentioned they are too tight. I have 8 TRV and they all work with that. Easily, did not even have to wiggle it in. Are you sure you used "VARTA RECHARGE ACCU Recycled AA 2100mAh", I would copy the Amazon link in here but that may not be allowed.

They last about a year (give or take). Totally recommend them.

• davidlyall
    davidlyall ✭✭✭
    Options

@FFM, yes, definitely that model of Varta.

How old are your TRVs? Mine are just over 4 years so if yours are newer, perhaps Tado has increased the diameter of the battery compartment.

Another possibility is that Varta has changed the specs of their battery. Mine were bought 1-2 years ago

• FFM
    FFM ✭✭
    Options

I have had Tado since about 2022. And we just moved, left the old ones there, and bought a set of new ones for this apartment.

It worked with Tado and the batteries I bought in 2022 and now in 11/2023. I even used the same Amazon offer. I just saw I bought the same 4-pack 9 times! ;)

This is Tado and VARTA Germany. But I doubt there is a difference in the UK products?

Here is the link on German Amazon. Not sure links are allowed but here it is:

VARTA Batterien AA, wiederaufladbar, 4 Stück, Recharge Accu Recycled, Akku, 2100 mAh Ni-MH, aus 21% recyceltem Material, vorgeladen, sofort einsatzbereit: Amazon.de: Elektronik & Foto

• kila42
    Options

i have just migrated from ZWave TRVs, where i used Li-Ion AA, which have a true 1.5v output and high capacity (2800mwh). I have them some of my Tado TRVs, where they are working ok. I have "Palo" from amazon, looks like EBL are the nearest replacement

Notes: more expensive than nimh, need a li ion charger, last a long time, and when they go flat, the voltage drops very quickly.