Can a wireless thermostat be used without TRVs

Options
I have an open plan living room and kitchen. It's quite large and my kitchen is 1.5c colder than my living room.

I don't have radiators in the kitchen, just plinth heaters that come on automatically when the central heating comes on.

Can I add a wireless thermostat in the kitchen without TRV's so it turns on the central heating?

Best Answer

• DPL
    DPL
    Answer ✓
    Options
    I've just tested it with my existing wireless thermostat set to Kitchen rather than Living room and it works perfectly on its own. It calls for heat just fine.

I might not bother though as the kitchen is now showing 3c lower than the living room and the plinth heaters are struggling to get the temperature up. It will cost me a fortune in gas 😂

Answers

• DPL
    Options
    I already have a wireless thermostat in the living room and TRV's in my other rooms except the bathroom and hallway.
  • hugbilly
    Options
    Yes, but what switches the plinth heaters? The wireless receiver only has limited current capacity . . .
  • DPL
    Options
    Thanks. If it turns on my central heating boiler then my plinth heaters detect the hot water passing through the radiator pipes and turn on automatically.
  • davidlyall
    Options

I think you should be able to add a wireless thermostat so that it can call for heat when that room is cold

It would need to have a zone controller set so that it could call for heat. Do you have wireless receiver/extension kit that is currently the zone controller for the other devices?