Opentherm conversion Wired Thermostat

Options
mattspeke
mattspeke
edited November 2023 in General Questions & Topics
Hi,

I have a Potterton Promax Ultra 40L Erp Combi boiler with OT capability. Currently set up with 2 zones valves that are wired together as I “removed” the zones to add STRVs and keep one rad as the bypass. We are in a small bungalow so 2 zones are not really needed, but I wanted local control of the room temperatures.

The STRVs are all connected to a wired thermostat which is connected to the zone valves via the relay connection. I can see from the manual how to connect the opentherm connection, but nothing about the zone valves. It looks like they are disconnected from the wired thermostat. If that is the case, how do I switch the valves on and off? I have Home Assistant so could get a relay and energise the valves when the heating is demanded, but I feel that this needs to be non HA dependent so it will work regardless of HA.

Any help appreciated.

Comments

• johnnyp78
    Options
    I’m guessing the zone valves are shorted open or have been bypassed in some way. Sounds like you might need a professional to see what has been done. The smart thermostat will need to be connected directly to the boiler for Opentherm.