Heating turned on, even though in "away" mode

Options

We just spent some time away, however, despite this the heating was being triggered on day 2 of our break and when we returned it transpired that one room had been heating since the morning.

I've checked the settings for the room and "away" mode was set to off.

Looking at my gas consumption, I was seeing intermittent usage throughout the night, even though it wasn't that cold, so frost protection wouldn't be kicking in.

Anyone else seen this? Suggestions to fix?

Gas usage below - we were away between 1pm on the 25th to 1pm on the 26th.

This is graph of one room during the morning of the 26th - it was heating from around 0830 (which is when it normally turns on) despite being flagged as "away"

Comments

• litton
    Options

Ok, found the reason for the intermittent usage - a large offset for the bathrooms that I use to ensure that when I turn the towel rails on for short periods, they actually heat. It turned out that with that, it was getting below the 5 degree trigger. Reduced the offset a bit......

Still doesn't explain why the one room was heating, despite being in "away" mode.

• pcone
    pcone ✭✭✭
    Options

Do you have "Preheat before arrival" switched on for that room?

With mine, if I'm away from home but still nearby, it only reduces the scheduled temperature by a couple of degrees (so that it heats up quicker when I get back)

• litton
    litton
    edited November 2023
    Options

I have it set to "Eco", but how did it know that we were coming back from about 0830?

Our "away" zone is about 200m from the house. At 0830, we were just leaving our London hotel, about 70 miles away and a couple of hours drive away.

Interesting to know that it uses just more than "away zone" to determine pre-heating.

I've messaged support to see if they can tell me why it triggered. I've noticed that a couple of other rooms were triggering too.

• pcone
    pcone ✭✭✭
    Options

For my house, in 'Balance' mode it'll switch to ~1.8degrees less than the schedule the moment I'm outside my 400m 'home' zone, and then decrease the temperature the further I am away. The reverse is true on the way back, slowly raising the temperature the closer I get, until I get within the 'home' zone when it switches to the scheduled temperatures. To me, that's the point of preheat

If you look at your graphs, you might be able to spot it doing similar.

• litton
    Options

Any idea on the distance at which it starts pre-heating?

• pcone
    pcone ✭✭✭
    Options

I suspect it will vary house to house, but looking at a recent trip, mine started ramping up when I was around 50 miles away from home

• litton
    Options

Thanks, I talked to support and they couldn't give me a distance, but that is very helpful.