Internet bridge does not connect to the cloud

Options
aleoo
aleoo
edited November 2023 in General Questions & Topics

Hi there, has anyone had issues with the bridge not connecting to the cloud

I can see the device connected to the router (VyOS via Aruba InstantOn). I also tried to give it a fixed IP address by the DHCP server but nothing. I can see the DNS requests being processed (via AdGuard Home), so it isn't an issue with the DNS.

I have also tried to tunnel the device via Wireguard to a server elsewhere so I don't suppose it has anything to with CGNAT either.

Perhaps it's an issue with the device itself? Any idea of what else I could try?

My ISP is HyperOptic UK.

Comments

• aleoo
    aleoo
    edited November 2023
    Options

I got it working by plugging it into my PC's ethernet port and by sharing the internet from the wifi to that - so perhaps there's an issue with high-sleep or full-duplex ethernet ports?

• wateroakley
    Options

The dongle works ok plugged into and powered our BT router. Others seem to have problems with some routers from their service providers. Summarising, the dongle does not appear to like Ethernet ports that are locked to full duplex and/or high speeds. Interposing a cheap 10/100 switch has worked for some. Our rellie has the dongle plugged into the Ethernet port of a cheap TP-link Wi-Fi extender (and separate usb power) that connects to their Virgin broadband over Wi-Fi.

• aleoo
    aleoo
    edited November 2023
    Options

Interestingly, on my PoE device's web portal I can see the port where the internet bridge is connected has been automatically set to 10 Mbps and half-duplex (see screenshot). Yet the device blinks but won't connect. As I said if I plug it in my PC's Ethernet port it works - so the bridge itself is not broken. Any idea on how to solve this besides buying an additional cheap switch?