Extension Kit for Hot Water - Can I Have One?

Options

Hello, 

I have had a Tado setup in my house (a 4-year-old new build) for about 4 months. There 2 thermostats downstairs which connect to UFH. Upstairs there is another thermostat setup as a zone controller for our 4 radiators, each of which has a Tado TRV. The system is working well. There is also a hot water cylinder upstairs, controlled by a programmer. We have an Ideal Logic System S30 boiler. 

When I initially contacted Tado about the setup, they asked me to check that the programmer with the hot water cylinder was a 3-channel programmer. I was unsure of this at the time, so we assumed it was so I stuck to just having Tado controlling the UFH and upstairs radiators, due to the 2-zone limitation. I have since had a look at the instructions of the hot water programmer and it is a ESI single-channel programmer. We have 3 motorised valves in the house. One is downstairs with the UFH manifold, and the other 2 are upstairs, near the hot water cylinder, I assume these are for the radiators and hot water. 

My question is, can I replace this hot water programmer for the Tado extension kit so it can control the hot water schedule? I know Tado can only control 2 heating zones but I am not sure if what we have falls into this category. Any advice or help would be appreciated! 

Comments

• johnnyp78
    johnnyp78 ✭✭✭
    edited October 2023
    Options
    I think Tado’s limit for heating zones is 25, not two so you should be fine. A Tado wireless receiver (aka extension kit) has two channels, one for heating and one for hot water but as far as I can see if you already have Tado devices controlling your heating, there’s no reason why you can’t have a wireless receiver just controlling the hot water.
  • I can’t seem to get this working. I have the wired thermostats and installed the wireless extension thing but can’t seem to get it to control just the hot water.