Motor head stuck on motor base

Options

I frequently find, when changing batteries, that the motor head is stuck in its base and so I end up removing head and base together, then needing to separate the two, then reassemble.

When I fit the base to the valve or adaptor I crank it up by hand as tight a I can using anti-slip cloth. I really don't think I should take a Mole wrench to it! The motor units still stick and when I remove them the base-valve connection breaks before the motor-base connection.

Two solutions spring to mind - either Loctite the base to the valve, or use some dry PTFE lubricant on the base so the motor heads can be removed. The latter seems better. WD40 DRY PTFE lubricant contains no silicones and claims to be safe on plastics.

Can anyone advise?

Comments

• hugbilly
    Options
    Fully agree that the SRV heads can be difficult to detach and it does seem to vary from unit to unit. Aside from spraying with silicone, or similar, as you suggest I can’t think of another solution . . .
  • WilsApp
    Options
    I have the same problem. It was a nightmare setting them up in the first place and now one says it's disconnected but I can't undo it to take the batteries out. If anyone has found a solution, I'd be very grateful!
  • DavidJEdge
    Options

You might do better using a slip-joint plier / aka water pump plier to crank the thread a bit tighter or even to hold the silver collar while trying the release the head.

Apologies for the delay, there doesn't seem to be a way to get emails when someone comments on a thread you're following

• davidlyall
    Options

I agree with this being an issue. I suspect part of the problem is due to the valve being held closed when you're removing the head so there is quite a bit of pressure on the pin.

A simple option (assuming the batteries aren't dead), might be to have the valve open fully (e.g. set to 25C) before removing it. Ideally, Tado would add a maintenance option that opens the valve without calling for heat ...

• DavidJEdge
    Options

Thank you David

That's very helpful.

d.