Water tank not re-heating if water is used

Options

If I use most of the water in the tank and the water is set to be on, the water in the tank is not getting heated again.

Have tried turning the heating on in the hope this would remind the boiler to fire up and heat water, but so far nothing.

Any ideas what the issue is?

Comments

• wateroakley
    Options

Three things to look at. First the timings for the hot water in Tado and lights on the Tado controller. Second, the zone valve. Third the tank thermostat.

• Thanks. What confuses me is, everything is working as expected, just confused as to why during a hot water heating time block, if most of the hot water is used, the tank does not heat up again afterwards.

• davidlyall
    Options

Assuming Tado HW is definitely still turned on, then this sounds like a faulty tank thermostat or zone valve

My gut feeling is on the zone valve. Perhaps it works OK when it's cold but sticks when hot so it doesn't open again when the tank thermostat calls for heat?

When you say that you tried turning on the heating. I assume that the heating did fire but the HW tank didn't get heated?

I'd be looking to check for voltage at the wiring centre terminals for the HW circuit to establish if the thermostat is open/closed or if the zone valve is switching correctly but I appreciate you may not be comfortable doing that. A decent heating engineer should be able to diagnose this in no time

• Thank you. I am currently trying 3 water heating blocks (rather than just 2) to see if that helps.

• Think the problem is, the tank takes far longer to heat than expected.

• MrsArcanum
    edited November 2023
    Options

Still bewildered as to why the boiler takes so long to heat the water if needed a second time (does not take so long for the first heating). Have had to resort to using the immersion if I need more hot water.