Boiler still firing after thermostat has reached its temperature

Options
Suecoo66
Suecoo66
edited January 2023 in General Questions & Topics
I have a wireless thermostat but have noticed in the last week or so that when the required temperature has been reached our boiler is still firing up.
Obviously this is causing us to use more gas than normal, so expensive!
The boiler is pretty much firing up all day but the house still feels quite cold. We've got it set to 17, it goes above 17 and doesn't go off.
I've tried resetting both the bridge and thermostat and have also reset the boiler

Answers

• johnnyp78
    Options
    I’m assuming it’s a Tado wireless thermostat? How far over 17c is it going? Are you saying that your house isn’t actually reaching 17c in temperature even though the thermostat is saying it’s going over 17?
  • royi
    Options

A lot of users are complaining about their boiler not switching off when it reaches the set temperature. Mine goes over by (Upton) .4 and I now put it down to Weather Adaptation which measures the outside temperature and adjust accordingly. I really can't see this is an error or a bug.

• Suecoo66
    Options
    Previously its always gone off on reaching the temperature and we know its switched it on and off throughout the day as it adjusts. I always thought it measures the temperature inside the room the thermostat is in?
    It seems as though the rads are on all day in the last week.
    Our meter was changed 23rd Jan so electric was off. I've reset the bridge and thermostat in case that was an issue.
    We are now using more gas than we did in December, even though that was a very cold month. Despite the fact I've lowered the temperature by another degree to try and save money
  • Suecoo66
    Options
    I've adjusted the temperature via the app to 16.6 and it's still not gone off. The wall thermostat still says 17 despite me lowering the temperature via the app to 16.6
  • johnnyp78
    johnnyp78 ✭✭✭
    edited January 2023
    Options
    The wall thermostat rounds up the temperature to the nearest whole number, so if the temperature on the app is saying 16.6, it’s correct that the wall thermostat would say 17.

Are you sure the heating just hasn’t been on more because it’s been colder outside?
  • Giboyle
    Options

I am having the same problem too and my setting is set for 18 degrees yet the wall themostat is 21.2 so it is well above and the boiler is running basically on constant.

• Suecoo66
    Options
    I have heard back from Tado who said that my bridge has disconnected at times although they also said its running correctly.
    I've read the guidance they sent which says not to have the bridge near the router, near a wall or behind furniture. Difficult to comply to all that and have it upright too when you have to connect it to the router via an ethernet cable. It would have to be in the middle of the floor.
  • WillYZF
    WillYZF
    edited January 2023
    Options

With the supplied cable for most people it would be very close to the router. I have an 8 port switch next to my router and the the bridge is plugged into that (using the supplied very short cable). It lays flat too and still manages to work fine. The design of it is not really conducive to sitting upright.

• Suecoo66
    Options
    It's also designed to plug into the USB section of the router for power so odd they design it to be close to the router but then tell you not to have it laying down or near it
  • WillYZF
    WillYZF
    edited January 2023
    Options

The only conection issues I have read about here is when your programmer/hot water control box (usually by boiler) or thermostat is too far away from the internet bridge. ie seperated by wallls floors etc. I don't have a programmer/hot water control (combi boiler) and my open plan ground floor has both the thermostat and router/switch/Tado Bridge.

• Suecoo66
    Options
    The bridge and thermostat are in the same room
  • hugbilly
    Options

I solved the orientation problem of the bridge by strapping it and its (extended) cables to a garden cane, using cable ties, and then standing the the cane upright in a location which can't really be seen. It's worked pretty well since then . . .

• WillYZF
    Options

I am sorry but as a normal Tado user I don'tthink I should expect anyone to have to use garden canes.

• Suecoo66
    Options
    I agree, if its meant to be upright and not near the router, design it so it stands upright and provide longer cables
  • Suecoo66
    Options
    We had no issues until recently. Our bridge is also connected via the cables supplied. I've moved our cordless as far as I can as read any devices with a radio signal can interfere with it. That's the only telephone port so our router and phone both need to be nearby