Why has Early Start stopped working?

Options
Early Start is ON. But the boiler is only starting up at the start time of a time block with a higher temperature.
The system is supposed to take account of the weather, which is cold and damp outside.
I've got the tado schedule set to 18.5° for an hour from 13:00, following 3 hours at 16°. The heating did not fire up till 12:56, and had only just reached 18.5° at 13:48! The radiators are still hot so it will keep rising.

This is my first full year with tado. Is it really that bad at using early start?
It seemed OK when installed 30 September a year ago.
Can anyone suggest anything ?

Comments

• Kresten
    Options
    Hi,
    Unfortunately I have exactly same issue since last update.

Kind regards,
    Kresten
  • srichards
    Options

Same. Mine works sometimes and other times it is just way off. Usually 45 minutes late. It used to be fine.

• rafm5
    rafm5 ✭✭✭
    Options

A lot of customers recommend using smart schedule rather early start feature to have more control and accuracy.

Due to no change log available it's difficult to confirm whether this is a brand new issue ar a problem created accidentally while tado° was trying to address too early start.

• Jim7463
    Options
    By smart schedule do you mean going back to the ancient method of setting your boiler to come on half an hour or more before or you want the temperature to be right?
    One of the reasons for getting a smart thermostat was because it would use external temperatures and history of the heat loss of the house to better manage the heating.
  • thefern
    Options

Seems this is a common issue.

I started using early start a year ago on a bedroom with TRV - it started maybe 3 hours early and the room took maybe 30 mins to heat. I contacted support and they adjusted the aggressiveness of the early start... it w as better.

I installed TRVs on my UFH over the summer, they have started heating as the temperature drops. I have a few issues with them and am in discussion with support (inconclusive yet, will come back here if I learn anything):

1) the system is not starting early enough now. It's a bit confusing per room with different early starts - I figure it is something to do with the temperature differential of the room to the set temperature. Tado say it takes into account external conditions but I am not so sure. I think I probably nee the aggressiveness adjusted but not sur this can be done room by room. Asking. Also asking if they can shed any more light on the algorithm.

2) There is +- 0.5°C hysteresis apparently, but my UFH wired thermostat was still calling for heat up to 0.9°C over, and being UFH it stores the heat and overshoots considerably. Have asked if there is any configuration possible on this. Ideally hysteresis would be considerably smaller for UFH possibly also protected with a time delay.

3) I have asked again whether there is any learning in the system. Not machine learning, just the kind like the room heats average of x °C per minute over the past y days, early start uses that info. not rocket science. I suspect there is nothing here. If I get that concluded I will ask a feature request as it is v simple.

4) They told me the system is aware of fast dropping temperatures and can call for heating earlier if this is the case (in our discussion on hysteresis). I have asked for more info and whether it can work with fast increasing temperatures.

Let's see.

• srichards
    srichards ✭✭
    edited October 2022
    Options

Tado support can alter the satisfaction level so that it turns off at a lower percentage of target temperature. They've changed mine so it stays on a bit longer and that works better.

If yours is overshooting too far then they can set the satisfaction level lower so it turns off earlier on the assumption it will reach the target.

Users should be able to tweak these settings as some want tight temperature control as it suits the property they're in and others with older heating systems want a more overshoot and fall back as that seems to work better.

I'm sure it used to be more intelligent at heating and did learn or the calculations were better and it appeared to learn/get it closer to correct more often.

• So if you contact Tado they can make adjustments to the early start system?
  • srichards
    Options

Possibly. Mine was tweaked in relation to the general heating not early start. I think early start is separate again. I'd contact them and say what it is doing wrong and whether they can tweak it to be a bit better.

• Bramg1988
    Options
    Tado absolutely sucks. They destroyed the software. Early start is not working properly and half the time rooms are needlessly heated at night. Not happy at all anymore.

Next up is a heat pump but surprise surprise that also doesnt work with tado.

Hire some real developers ffs
  • luteijn
    Options
    "Hire some real developers ffs ", alreadt scarce in the best of times, unfortunately. Hopefully they'll release some real documentation so one can take a stab at it for themselves, and implement just the 10% of all possible features that one actually needs, instead of getting a jack-if-all-trades-master-of-none system, that does a middling job of 90% of all possible features, but it's missing 'your' favourite parts...
  • Franita
    Options
    https://community.tado.com/en-gb/discussion/543/early-start-is-starting-far-too-early