Modify Limits of Room Temperature Control

Is it possible to modify the upper limit of the Heating Temperature in the Smart Thermostat (it is currently restricted to 25 degrees Centigrade)?

85 votes

Active · Last Updated

Comments

• I would also like to limit the maximum temp to 23 rather than 25
  • I would also need this feature, to limit the range the user can or not set via the physical device. the app should allow the super user to set the range.

• My kids are messing with the room control unit and setting the temperature to 25 degrees. I want to limit this ability and limit the maximum temperature to a more reasonable value.

• I have a zone with a tado thermostat and want to limit the maximum to below the current maximum

• +1 this is a need to have feature
  • +1 this is a need to have feature!

• Yes, this is highly necesarry. Silly that there is a limit at all!, as this is a personal preference (In my case the valve an termostat is placed behind sound absorbing material, that also is very effective insulation. SO when the room i 17 degree, the valve thinks its 25. Not it's fault, but annoying I can just turn up the heat

• If you want to set a lower limit, you can achieve this with IFTTT integration; just set up a rule that if temp is higher than 23 or whatever, set the temperature on Tado to 23 degrees.

Useful if someone in the house keeps turning it right up as they'll think it's turned up, but it isn't really.

• WouterF
    WouterF ✭✭
    edited October 2020

Please also like my related idea to make the early start better. Tado wasted 1 hour of energy each day because the early start functionality heats up 1 hour too early. https://community.tado.com/en-gb/discussion/5369/improve-early-start/p1?new=1

• I really need this feature as well.
    I have a floor heating thermostat on the basement, which controls the heating in the bathroom above. Also in some of my rooms the thermostat is "hidden" in a call corner and thinks it's hotter than it really is.
  • It is a shame to have such a nice device that allows other advanced functionality to not be able to have a higher temp setting or the ability to set the max.
  • This override for 25 c limit is needed if you need to test your heating system after having new radiators installed or system drained and refilled due to another maintenance task. If you do this work in the summer (which you normally would so you don't freeze in your own home) and your home is warmer than 25 c you can't actually test your hot water system to check if the maintenance work has been successful.

Please enable an override to the limit so I can at least test my hot water system after maintenance work.
  • rafm5
    rafm5 ✭✭✭

BTW: Italy regulates how high you can turn your central heating up. It applies to everyone but is more easily enforced in shared buildings.

Private homes, offices and schools are not supposed to be heated to more than 20 degrees C – though the norms allow a margin of 2 degrees, so the very warmest you can go is 22 degrees C.

Meanwhile factories and workshops should be kept at 18 degrees C (or 20 degrees C if really necessary)

😀

• Virtuoid
    Virtuoid
    edited June 2021
    Just change the offset.

In the app open Settings > Rooms & Devices and select the room you want update. Move the offset according to your needs.

Thanks later
  • I have increased the offset to the maximum (10°), but still it stops and closes the valve to a certain point when even I would like the radiator to be on. Is there any option we could constantly keep it on regardless of temperature?!
  • Just to correct my last comment, I just decreased the offset to minimum (-9.9) and now it all works well. But still it would be great to have a constantly on option.
  • yes please, the offset workaround isn't what I paid 130€ for

• +1 I support the idea to give an option to modify the limit. I know it has more legal aspect than technical, but with a precisely prepared user agreement it wouldn't be a problem.

• +1

I support the idea to cancel the UPPER limit

• I would also like to have this feature to support eg bathrooms.
  • Sensible solution could be to let the super user set:
    - a max limit for the TRVs (so people can’t turn them up to silly by accident - anything below 25?)
    - a max limit for the app (anything below 28? 30?)

If countries have legal limits, pop ups should appear with legal advice and force the user to click “I have read …” statement.
  • I have some tall radiators, and when the house is cold they are hot there's a bias of temperature of the sensor and real temperature of the room.

The problem is solved when the room is near the target temperature. If i can set the valve to all-opened position for a short period of time I can bring the house to the right temperature.

+1

• Rob
    Rob | Admin

The 25 degrees limit has a few reasons. Some digital boiler interfaces (Viessmann for example) cannot deal with a request higher than 25 degrees. Another one is that not being able to set it over 25 degrees is kind of a safety feature as well. Having said that, it is not up to us to decide to what extent our customers want to heat their rooms.

I believe there are 2 reasons for this request:

1. People who actually want a room warmer than 25 degrees, like a bathroom.
    2. People who want to overcome a sometimes unrepresentative temperature measurement next to the radiator, but who do not want 25+ degrees in the middle of the room.

Related to 1:

• We are weighing if we should adjust the 25 degree limit, and if so in what way. It also has some downsides, like I mentioned in the first paragraph.
    • You can overcome the 25 degree limit by adjusting the offset of the specific room, in the settings in the app. If you for example set the offset to -2, the display and app will indicate 18 degrees when the device actually measures 20 degrees, because 20 -2 = 18. So if you then set the temperature to 25, it will actually heat to 27 (and display 25).

Related to 2:

• We are working on a better way to control radiator valves (more gentle and less battery consumption) with a temperature measurement that will also be (somewhat) better. With the current hardware, with an automatic firmware update. The result is that for those people who experience a big difference between measured temperature by a radiator thermostat and middle-of-the-room temperature, the tado° measurement will approach reality in a better way than before. And, thus, the need for a 25+ degrees settings becomes less urgent. These are shades of grey, I am not claiming it will solve the issue for everyone.
    • If you have more than 1 smart radiator thermostat in the same room, only one measures temperature and the rest follows that 'leader'. In the app, try picking another one to measure the temperature. Temperature measurement becomes especially unrepresentative for the middle of the room when the radiator thermostat is mounted somewhere with little air flow. Extreme examples: behind a sofa or curtain.
    • If nothing of the above helps, adding a tado° temperature sensor in the middle of the room would solve the issue.

• Who could want their home to be heated to over 25 degrees? it means not having understood anything about the problems related to pollution and global warming! Without considering the waste of energy!

Instead, I would like to be able to set the maximum limit to a value below 25 ° C.

• I give massages and I need the room to be a between 26-27 degree Celsius. Offsetting is very annoying. Please consider this use case.
  • Use case for setting more than 25 degrees:

• test the system (e.g. you sent today an interesting email recommending some prep before the winter, including to set at to test the heaters --> in my Country there are currently more than 25° hence the heaters don't start... and for sure I don't apply an offset to all of them just for testing)
    • descaling - opening and closing the valve once per week also during the summer --> ideally this should be a feature by Tado itself... without the need of making it manually

• I believe there should be super user settings in the app to set upper and possibl lower limits on what individual rooms can heat to. The child lock is a great help but configurable limits and account priviledges would be a better solution. The offset is a bodge and should only be used for the purpose it was designed for.

On the reason why you'd want it higher than 25c. I agree in most circumstances this is not necessary but, if you have an elderly/poorly resident at home, 25c can still feel cold to them so in some circumstances it is necessary

Some of the posts on this thread have mentioned issues that really could be overcome by using a separate wireless temp sensor to get a more accurate room reading. I would urge Tado to make those devices more affordable as £90 is too high to me

• Sorry for an old thread resurrection.
    I had an engineer visit today to test my heating system in preparation for winter and he needed to put the heating as high as possible to ensure the boiler came on bit we were limited to 25°C. Are there any improvement plans to increase this upper limit so you can test the systems in preparation for winter?