How to fit a Wireless Receiver in the place of an old Extension Kit?

Options

My Extension Kit developed a fault (hot water was getting stuck on), and Tado have provided me with a discounted "Wireless Receiver" to replace it (as this is the new version of the Extension Kit).

Installing the original Extension Kit was so easy, I simply popped off my old programmer, slotted the Extension Kit onto the existing backplate and tightened the 2 screws - done! I didn't have to drill any holes, I didn't need to disconnect/reconnect any wires, it was so simple.

For reasons unbeknownst to me the new "Wireless Receiver" no longer fits the standard programmer backplates. Instead, the standard backplate needs to be completely removed and each wire now connects directly to the "Wireless Receiver" itself. So not only do I need to disconnect each wire from the backplate and find out where they go on the "Wireless Receiver". But I also have to find a new way of attaching the "Wireless Receiver" to the wall, as the screw holes are not in the same place, and unlike the standard backplate do not appear to even be a common distance apart. So despite having standard 2-gang and 1-gang mounting positions available, I can't use them!

Here is my old backplate position, and I'm holding up the back of the new "Wireless Receiver". As you can see the holes no longer line up to any screws:

So does anyone know to what standard the "Wireless Receiver" screw hole centres are? And can you get an adapter plate to convert from UK 2-gang to them? e.g. like this 2 to 1-gang adapter:

Or has anyone got any advise as to how I can install the new "Wireless Receiver" in this location?

(Tado say the new "Wireless Receiver" is "more intuitive to install" - haha!! It's gone from dead simple, to a massive headache.)

Answers

• GrilledCheese2
    Options

It’s not easy to transition between the two different mounts. Have you considered buying a used/new extension kit off eBay. It’s an extra cost, but it would save you a load of grief.

• jcwacky
    jcwacky ✭✭✭
    Options
    @GrilledCheese2 I did consider it. But decided that too would be a hassle (especially now that I’ve got the Wireless Receiver). I also like the idea of the status lights and test buttons.

So I’m more likely to just stick it to the plate with double sided tape to be honest!

Are the screw holes now to some European standard on the Wireless Receiver? Or no standard at all?
  • Gazab
    Options
    Did you ever solve you issue? I was amazed the wireless receiver was non uk standard fixings and made an adapter plate based on 2 gang blanking plate.
    Though there only a 3 or 4 wires needed that go to the receiver you have a number of wires to terminate somewhere I tagged these and used Wago connectors.

I would post pictures here but can’t seem figure out how to do that!?
  • paul0000
    Options

I'd be interested in this for the future. Have an extension kit today which was literally plug and play (kudos Tado).

I had been thinking about "upgrading" but this makes me nervous ...

• jcwacky
    Options
    I trimmed a lug off my backing plate (to make it smooth) and then just used Gorilla Mounting Tape to stick the Wireless Receiver on. Bit of a bodge. And the pressure from the wires is now pushing it off a bit. I’d refit my Extension Kit if I could be bothered.
  • Rjs77
    Options
    I have a single gang plate that I need to attach the receiver to but cannot as fused spur is beside it. The wireless receiver holes don’t line up ! Is there an adapter plate from 1 - 2 gang provided by tado ??
  • royi
    Options

I replaced my 10 year old Honeywell ST9400C programmer with the Wireless receiver and the holes lined up. I know the electrical house wiring has changed since then, did they also change the standards for programmers.

• jcwacky
    Options

@royi Interesting. So the holes in the new Tado Wireless Receiver matched up to the outer holes in the baseplate for your old Honeywell ST9400C, as per option "a" below?

Honeywell doesn't even state these as a standard (unlike the narrower 1-gang holes), as they are just into the bare wall.

• royi
    Options

That is correct. The Honeywell ST9400C was attached using the outer holes and I just attached it in the same way.

• jcwacky
    Options

@royi Thanks for confirming, sounds like you're surface mounting anyway, so even if it hadn't lined up, you could have relatively easily added another hole. Unlike those of us with backboxes which it seems like Tado have forgotten about. ☹️

• royi
    Options

Lack of QA on tado side

They have so much to learn on how the UK operates.