digital ebus boiler control and tado hot water control with regular boiler ?

Options

Quick question regarding a boiler upgrade and if anyone knows if the statement in my title is possible?

At present I'm using a regular boiler and relay (on-off) control via wired tado room thermostat directly connected to a 2 channel programmer on a Y-plan system with a hot water cylinder. I have also a number of tado TRVs to provide control over individual rooms. At present hot water is managed by the 2-channel programmer and tado takes care of heating.

Now, my boiler is getting old and I'm thinking of a new one --- most likely a Glow worm Energy regular boiler which supports Vailliant ebus control but in the existing Y-plan scheme.

Question -- what is best way of configuring my system , ideally if possible I would like hot water control by tado and also ebus boiler control, but I'm not sure if that can be easily achieved or is worth pursuing ?

1) install tado extension kit (to replace 2-channel programmer) and connect it to boiler and tado thermostat via ebus? If so can this be wired for hot water control and ebus boiler control?

2) install Glow Worm Smart wiring centre (to replace 2-channel programmer) and directly wire it digital control of tado smart thermostat and also ebus of boiler? Would this work and would tado be able to control hot water, assuming appropriate wiring?

3) as now, simply use on-off relay control from wired tado thermostat to existing 2-channel programmer. No hot water control by tado or digital modulation. But simple and likely guaranteed to work.

Any advice most welcome

Oliver

Answers

• on6702
    Options

In case it's useful for others, I have contacted tado directly about this and have been told that digital modulation control is not possible for a Y-plan system involving a hot water cylinder and a conventional boiler. They have stated that for tado, digital boiler control is only possible for a combi system.