9 Smart Radiator Thermostats bought, installed and now defunct! (Pegler)

Hi all,

Recently moved in to a new home that I'm hoping to try and future-proof by installing a lot of smart home kit. Invested quite a bit in Tado products, and after sending this image to Tado support to ask which 'adapter' from the packet needed to be used to install on the valve, they told me that it was fine to just put directly on without adapters.

All 9 thermostats fixed on without issue, clicked into place and synced up with the app with no issues. One of the thermostats however showed an E4 error, which Tado support suggested was to do with a weak connection between the valve and adapter. I tried with an alternative thermostat, and it installed fine - so I started the conversation about returning the faulty adapter.

Support then informed me that there was actually something wrong with all my units, and none of them were working correctly. I sent them a photo of the valve and they informed me that it wasn't a compatible valve.

There was no sign of this in the app, and the previous Tado support agent had advised I could install the thermostat on the valve after showing them photos - so I had disposed of all the previous manual TRVs and also the packaging of the Tado products I'd purchased.

So until now, I didn't know I had a problem (as it's a heatwave in the UK at the moment and I hadn't put the heating on yet) - but now I'm stuck with 9 x thermostats that apparently aren't compatible with the valve after all!

The Tado support agent suggested that I could ask "my plumber" (like I have a personal plumber) to install M30x1,5 valve (just not Pegler, which is the kind I apparently have). But I have invested a lot already in this, and I'm worried about the cost that comes with me replacing all the valves.

Is it something that is easy enough for me to do myself?!

Answers

• That’s a really tough one. I guess the square part is blocking the base of the thermostat from screwing right down? If you’re stuck and can’t use them, I could be happy to but some from you.
  • johnbur
    johnbur ✭✭✭
    edited August 2021
    Easy enough to replace yourself if you don't mind draining the system - from the photos, compatible valves should be a direct swap. Otherwise, an easy job for a plumber. Not much choice if you've thrown the old TRVs away.
  • CIW
    CIW
    edited August 2021
    Although quite an expensive outcome. Wonder if Tado are considering making adapters?
  • MarkW
    MarkW
    edited August 2021

Assuming the valves correctly installed I.e. the valve went through the install set up procedure and indicated that they had installed satisfactorily (3 ‘squares’ at end of install) and they are linked with the app as you say, then they should work. How do you know they aren’t working? Have you tried the heating? I have very similar valves to yours and they work fine

• I’m in the same position, but I’ve not thrown anything away. Tado support assured me the Pegler Bulldogs are compatible with a supplied adapter, but they’re not. What’s I think is needed is a 30 x 1.5 to 30 x 1.5 adapter using a supplied pin.

• Now I’m unsure. First Tado told me they were compatible so I bought the rad thermostats. Set up of the first left me with a red spanner warning so I contacted a Tado support who told me they’re not compatible. I then saw another discussion here suggesting they do work so I’ve refitted one and it seems to be OK, but not tested in anger yet, because it’s summer.

• Any update on your setup @ICLlP ?

• @anonymous56 , yes the bulldogs seen to work as one would want them to. The two Drayton TRV4s that I have are not working, but I think the Drayton valves are stuck open. I’ve tried WD40, but no luck yet.

• I have exactly the same valve as your original picture not bulldog one the square one. what's interesting is that 7 of them seem to work just fine, but one is misbehaving constaly showing higher temperature then in reality like 2 degrees difference.

support also said it's incompatible because it cannot fully close the valve, but that doesn't make sense to me cause tad thing the room is warm enough but reality it is not.

I did try to swap the trv around with another one and it has same result so doesn't look like it is the trv itself.

• Yes my valves often need a wiggle and WD40.