Water filling sound with TADO radiator valve when opening

Options

In my bedroom (2nd floor), I have installed TADA radiator valve. At night, I keep temperature at 18 celcius so the valve is completely closed. In the morning, the valve opens to warm up to bedroom. At that moment, I keep hearing the sound of water filling to radiator until the valve is closed or radiator is full of hot water. I have tried to bleed air but I always have air inside the radiator every morning. Is it normal ? When radiator is cold, does it lose water so there is air inside ?

Best Answer

• GrilledCheese2
    GrilledCheese2 ✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

@DHL there is a possibility that you are bleeding hydrogen, not air. Or, it could be hydrogen sulfide. The former is flammable and the later smells of rotten eggs. The hydrogen is a product of metal corrosion and hydrogen sulfide is caused by the breakdown of organic matter. In a sealed heating system the ingress of air is unlikely due to the high water pressure. If your water pressure is low then it is more likely for air to get in, especially if you have auto-vents on the pipework.

The Tado valve is not causing the problem. It’s simply holding back the air in the pipework until the valve opens in the morning.

Answers

• arturr1987
    Options

I'm experiencing similar issue, but in my case when thermostat opens valve it just opens a little bit, which means that water flowing through little hole in the thermostat makes noise. This happens only when Tado is trying to keep temperature in the room. If I put temperature higher, then valve opens fully and make no noise. I've tried calibrating few times but it doesn't help.

I'm not a plumber but I think that radiator should be full of water even when not in use. Check if your water pressure drops (which shouldn't)

• DHL
    Options

Hi @arturr1987, the pressure will change when heating on/off. How could I know if water pressure is dropped ?

• arturr1987
    Options

Hi @DHL,

On your boiler you should have water pressure gauge. When heating is off and cold it should be between 1-2 bar. If it's less then you need to top up. If pressure keeps dropping then there is a leak or boiler issue.

https://www.centralheating-quotes.com/boiler/what-pressure-should-my-boiler-be/