Bosch Worcester GreenStar 8000 Life EMS/OT control

mmkdr35
mmkdr35
edited March 2021 in General Questions & Topics

Hi

Im getting a new combi boiler installed, its a Bosch 8000 Life. I'm currently a nest user (3 zones) but im thinking about moving over to Tado for more granular by room control.

Ive read conflicting things about both Nest and Tado being able to make use of Modulation on this boiler brand.

What I'd idelly like is for 3 thermostats and a number of TRVs to call heat via modulation on a per room basis.

Is this possible with TADO and this boiler?

Does anyone know?

Answers

• Hi. Was just wondering if you had any luck with this? I had an installer fit this boiler today but he’s wired it incorrectly and the extension kit has no power
  • GrayDav4276
    GrayDav4276 ✭✭✭
    edited October 2021
    From what I have personally found.......the majority of CH Installers/engineers know absolutely nothing about the Tado systems. The only engineer I've had in the last 2 years who knew anything about Tado was a Viessmann engineer.
  • Hi,

At the moment, tado° works with the Bosch 8000 Life boiler via relay connection only. However, we keep working to develop our compatibility range for more interfaces.

• I am installing a new system from scratch using a Worcester Bosch Greenstar 8000 Life combi boiler. I want 3 zones, one for each floor with controllable zone valves plus tado valves in some rooms.

What tado equipment do I need?

• I've had a Worcester Bosch Greenstar 8000 life regular boiler installed and would like to use Tado with it on EMS to support modulation etc, is there an ETA on when will Tado support the EMS protocol it uses?

• Hi

Any updates on compatibility with the Worcester Bosch Greenstar 8000 series and EMS control?

I have an existing large Tado system and am looking at installing a new boiler but would want smart controls. I'd rather not have to uninstall and sell the existing Tado system unless I really have to.

I see there are several support threads asking the same question. I imagine that the number of people looking for this feature to be supported will only increase. Hopefully there is no hardware reason for the lack of support, or if so an adaptor of some sort could be developed.

Thanks

John

• V2.2 Nov 2021 of the tado° compatibility guide states that all types of Worcester boilers are supported, but tado° have today advised me this refers only to relay on/off control and that "tado° is not currently compatible with EMS control of the Greenstar 8000 Life.

They had no information on it being supported in future and suggested raising a request here: leave your feature request in the tado° Community

Or you could add your votes to an existing request I found here: https://tado.vanillacommunities.com/en-gb/discussion/9230/support-newer-version-of-worcester-ht-bus

• Can I bump this rather than starting a new thread? I have a 8000 Life 50kw regular with 4 zone valves, currently operated by 2 nest learning stats, each doing one heating zone + one DHW cylinder. I have 2 Tado stats and some TRVs to replace the Nest system with, but as I understand it this will not modulate my boiler, so even if I cut it down to one room on one zone, I’ll be cycling the full 50kw?
    The alternative is I fit the EasyControl system, but I don’t think that supports zone valves, so I would need Bosch TRVs on every radiator? And since I can’t find any multipacks, that’s going to bankrupt me for 21 radiators …
    Can anyone confirm one or both of those things? Thanks!
  • As far as I am aware, tado° still do not support the protocol used with by Worcester Bosch 8000 series, so your boiler would be on or off.

I think your understanding of the Easycontrol system is correct.

There are a couple of alternative ideas here: https://community.tado.com/en-gb/discussion/10914/worcester-bosch-greenstar-8000-and-ems

• Even the new controller https://uk.installers-shop.tado.com/products/wireless-smart-thermostat-starter-kit-v3-eu-version is still not compatible for digital connection

• Has anyone tried this yet, it looks like it might solve the issue?

https://www.worcester-bosch.co.uk/professional/products/accessories/easycontrol-adapter

• This adapter is to use the Bosch EasyControl to control the below heating appliances:

• modulating heating systems with OpenTherm-protocol
    • on/off-appliances and district heating systems
    • older boilers with iRT-protocol

I doubt it would allow OpenTherm control of Greenstar 8000 Life boiler