TP9000, TS2 and TP4000 replacing with Tado

Hi,

My Existing setup:

TP9000 in utility attached to Ideal Logic+ Heat 15 combi boiler. TS2 sensor in dining space. TP4000 in Master Bedroom upstairs.

I wish to get multizone heating setup with:

Tado Smart hot water control unit replacing TP9000, getting rid of TS2 sensor as will be using Tado wireless thermostat. Wish to keep TP4000 wired unit as it is (Ques: is it possible?)

putting Tado smart radiator controls on 6 radiators across 2 floors for multizone setup.

Question:

I am bit confused on the wiring as my existing TP9000 wiring seems bit different from what I have seen in forums. I have wires attached to port 1 and 3 as well which I am not sure what to do. I understand 5,6 are TS2 wires and need to be put off taped.

My wiring diagram is below:

Any help is much appreciated!

Answers

• The wiring in the photo shows wires on terminals 1, 3 & 4. This normally indicates a Y plan system where you have a 3 port valve controlling hot water and a single heating zone.

You say you have a thermostat upstairs, indicating you have two heating zones. This is normally achieved with an S plan system where you have a 2 port valve for each zone.

It looks like your system has been modified at some stage to add the extra heating zone. It might be that the wire on terminal 1 is no longer used, or you have a non-standard setup. I’m sure you can adapt your system to work with Tado but you’ll probably need to get specific advice from Tado customer support. They’ll ask for details and photos to determine how your setup is working.

Not sure why you want to keep the TP4000, personally I think you’re better off replacing it with a wired wall thermostat. The smart radiator controls are easy to add to the system and can be added at a later date.

• Thanks @GrilledCheese2. This does make sense now, considering what Tado app somehow suggested. I did raised it with Tado support and awaiting their reponse.

I do have a wireless thermostat. do I still need to put a wired one to replace TP4000. Thanks for you guidance 😊

• The Tado system can only have one wireless receiver, limiting users to one wireless wall thermostat. You will definitely have to replace the downstairs TS2 with a wireless thermostat, which means you cannot have a wireless thermostat upstairs. If the TP4000 is wired then the replacement is a wired additional thermostat.

• Thanks! Read somewhere that if smart trv in room 2 (currently at 19 degrees) wants 23 degrees and room 1 with wired thermostat is already at 23 degrees, it is likely to not ask for heat i.e... room 2 will stay at 19 degree.

if thats the case, i'll be stuck wth earlier setup and cannot obtain the multizone setup i wished for 😥

• GrilledCheese2
    GrilledCheese2 ✭✭✭
    edited February 2021

There are two modes of operation for TRVs.

1) A smart TRV can call for heat whenever it wants to heat the room. The downside to this is any radiators on the same heating circuit without a TRV will also heat up. So heating one room to 23°C can affect the temperature in other rooms.

2) A smart TRV cannot call for heat but can open/close its valve to maintain the room temperature. When the wall thermostat calls for heat the smart TRV can heat the room if required and will continue to heat the room until it closes its valve or the wall thermostat turns off. The downside to this mode is the room may never reach its target temperature, but this may not be a problem for bedrooms where the target temperature is lower than the living space.

If every room has a smart TRV then mode 1 is always the best option.

• Thanks for explaining. I do have TRVs for all rooms. So, considering that, is the Wired Thermostat will serve a purpose upstairs? (sorry for chained questions)😊

• The wired thermostat upstairs is your zone controller and will activate a motorised zone valve which allows hot water to flow into the upstairs heating circuit. Without the zone controller the radiators will remain cold at all times.

The wireless receiver downstairs will be the zone controller for the downstairs heating circuit and the hot water circuit.

• Hi,

Finally got all instructions from Tado Team, my previous setup was:

The wires in TP9000 are: 4 Neutral, 3 live, 2 in port 1, None in port 2, 1 in port 3, 1 in port 4, 1 in port 5 and 1 in port 6.

The mapping to Tado Receiver unit is:

All Neutral to N, All Live to L, 1 to to HW NC, 3 to HW NO, 4 to CH NO, Bridge from L to CH COM, Bridge from L to HW COM

The connection established successfully.

I have also got a Wired Thermostat Controller to replace upstairs TP4000, The wiring was simple:

COM to COM

NO to NO

This also paired find and controller from App.

I also installed one Smart Radiator in other upstairs room.

Issues:

1. For all devices, zone controller is coming up as Wireless Receiver near boiler, does that means it is one zone only instead of what i assumed is 2 zones?
    2. I am not able to get heat on demand to Smart Radiator, Tried heating room to 25 degrees when wired thermostat in next room is at 20. Radiator not heating up.

Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks!

• I don’t know the exact details of your setup but I would expect the zone controller arrangement for your multi zone system to be something like this.

1) Master bedroom with wired thermostat: Zone controller is itself

2) Other bedroom with smart TRV: Zone controller is master bedroom

3) Downstairs with wireless thermostat: Zone controller is wireless receiver

For the smart TRV to work it calls for heat to the thermostat in the master bedroom. This thermostat closes its relay, switching on the upstairs zone valve which then switches on the boiler.

• @GrilledCheese2 : You are right, thats the setup, but my Master Bedroom wired Thermostat is not coming up as Zone Controller. Can you please guide as how to configure it to be one?

• If a device does not appear in the list of zone controllers then there’s nothing you can do in the app. You will need customer support to make the change on their system.