Tado app gets "Heating to" temp wrong and keeps overheating the house

Options

Answers

• On my to do list is to find a way to completely sign out of Tado updates and their forums.

But still - here we are!

Hope everyone is OK - and not to cold - or dangerously hot :)

• dqb321
    dqb321
    edited August 2021
    Options
    What on earth is going on with the Tado system? The thermostat in the hall says that it's 22.9 degrees in the house, which is clearly not the case. All manner of fiddling around with the app makes not the slightest difference. Then this morning I woke up to a boiling hot house, 23.7 or something like that, radiators almost to hot to touch, whilst the app assures me that it's set to off. Something is seriously wrong with Tado......
  • freekbo
    Options

Same here, unexplained heating in the living room. 2nd time this is happening in one of the rooms. The taco app doesn't seem to notice....

So, no energy savings with Tado.

• tkrall
    tkrall
    edited November 2021
    Options
    Same problem here:

- Living room set to 23 degrees and showing it reached 23 degrees but actually only has 18 degrees
    - Bathroom set to 19 degrees but keeps heating at 28 degrees

Seems Tado could neither correctly measure nor adjust the temperature. How can this be fixed?
  • Thank you all. I just installed it and got my flat burning all day. What the hell? Luck me I did not left home otherwise my flat would be like hell. Gonna test one more day and then ask for a refund.
  • Kevinr11
    Options

I have the same issue as tkrall, when I try to heat up my living room to 22, my bedroom, bathroom and hallway all go maximum with heating to 26.

Just send a mail to tado, hopefully there is a solution.

• @Kevinr11 did they answer your email? TLDR: I managed to find a "solution" to that. Instead of letting all "dumb" radiators fully open as Tado says, I closed them all since my tado smart thermostat is not controlling anything at all.

My setup is: tado wired thermostat in the living room with dumb thermostat, Kitchen and bathroom with dumb thermostats and 1 tado smart thermostat in the bedroom.

So, the kitchen is 100% closed, the bathroom is 3 of 7, the living room is 3 of 7 and the bedroom is controlled by tado thing. Before that, all dumb were 7 of 7 as Tado suggested in their documentation and it was like hell.

Now it is pleasant, however my combi boiler is never off, always running the water.

• My system is now also doing this! I’ve reset my home twice and reset every device. No difference! With energy costing the earth I’m getting pretty sick of trying to explain this to my wife..

My set up is wired thermostat and Opentherm connection to the boiler.

• Synodiporos
    edited November 2022
    Options

Same problem here. A have a wire thermostat v3 with a boiler only. It keeps heating the boiler even when the inside temperature is 0.6C higher than the target. I can't figure out what kind of PID controller is this. It does not make any sense to keep boosting when the temperature exceeds the desired one. This is not "smart" or efficient at all. My 15 years old thermostat with a simple hysteresis control worked better. The heating should be stopped several minutes before the temperature reach the target to prevent the overshoot and the waste energy. I understand than an overshoot at the response may be inevitability (some times) but this should be due to the stored energy of the hot water (thermal capacity in the boiler and the radiator). Tado does not work like this. Please give us the option to disable the weather adaptation if this causes the issues 🤨.

• shicky4
    Options

Well this is worrying!

New user as of today, is there any way to avoid getting bitten by this?

Those impacted, I assume you've tried clearing cache, app data and re-installing the app - any luck with that approach?

• johnnyp78
    johnnyp78 ✭✭✭
    edited January 2023
    Options
    The app isn’t controlling the heating, it’s just transmitting and receiving messages to and from Tado’s servers. See how your installation works, it’s not a problem that affects everyone.
  • sdmaino
    sdmaino ✭✭✭
    Options

I already wrote it previously, but can be useful to repeat for those who face this problem.

I made an IFTTT applet turning off the boiler for a while if the temperature goes higher than a threshold.

Customizables: account, room, threshold, duration.

I published it on IFTTT with this title for those who might need:

"If the temperature rises above threshold, then the boiler will be turned off for a while."

It is a workaround, not the solution, but it works.

• RichardN
    RichardN
    edited January 2023
    Options

I'm still getting this behaviour. I see 0.8 degrees above target temp and it's still heating at 66% (2 bars).

It seems to be the calculation for determining the heating value was changed some point last year and it broke it.

If it is caused by loss of communication between thermostat and bridge, it would be useful if this could be shown in log somewhere. However, if the system is working on "last known thermostat" temperature it's still wrong, as the last known temp will be what is reported in the app.

I will open a support ticket, as this is driving me crazy lately.

@Crash_Evans that is exactly what I get on your graph. around 0.6 to 0.9 degrees above target temp and still heating too strongly. I understand heating needs to be on, to maintain the target temp, but when it gets that far above it, it should be off completely. You can even see by the trajectory of the temp, that it's not compensating for temperature dropping.

• GrayDav4276
    Options

There may be a " time lag" between the device sending the data and the action being returned to the device from the tado server via your bridge to your device........therefore your device will continue to "heat" the radiator until a "change" is received and actioned by the device.

• RichardN
    Options

What would the cause of the time lag be ? And what kind of lag time do you think it could cause ?

I've seen it continue to heat for many, 15, 20, 30 minutes past target temp. So I don't think it's that.

If I force the target temp much lower to force the heating request to 0 bars, and then revert it, it still goes back to 2 bars, so it's not lack of updates, but the heating request calculation to me.

• GrayDav4276
    Options

@RichardN

I agree that I wouldn't expect the "time lag" to be 15+ mins.......however it's dependent on the "interrogation" of your system parameters by tado and therefore how often the system conditions are being assessed by tado.

I think that you need to ask tado support to explain what is happening.

• Bunglehaze
    edited February 2023
    Options

I'm having a horrendous time with my Tado (V2) recently with issues like these. As of this morning to use an example:

1: overnight temps set to 17.5

2: 06:45 internal temps set as usual to rise to 18.5, at 09:00 it's still only 17.9 (and feels accurately cold)

3: 10:00 (estimated), the reading jumps from 17.9 to 19.5, tado stops heating the already cold house

4: After an hour, no real change, then it jumps to 20.5 (house still cold, even the room it's in which is reading 17.8 on another thermometer

5: I adjust the offset to force it to read 18.3 and make the heating turn on

6: within 5 minutes, the temperature on tado drops to 17.9 again

7: I adjust the offset back again to make it read 18.3

8: tado jumps again and shows it at 18.1

9: Just added, Tado just jumped back to 17.8 in the 5 minutes it took for me to post this.

I even disconnected my Tado TRV because it was even worse with that also in place! It's impossible to get a comfortable temperature even with the main thermostat unit as it is.

And that's just one day of many that I have a similar issue just trying to heat my house. In warmer weather i get the flipside, tado reaches the temperature I set and continues heating for sometimes 30-45 minutes and overheating.

I am at the end of my tether with Tado, I can't fathom how it's so hard for a heating control to actually read the right temperature and control the heating to the level I expect it to.

Whether this is down to Tado communicating back with it's server to set the parameters or something else it should not be this frustrating. There are times that I don't want Tado to casually control it and decided my heating needs controlling at 25% when it's not even hitting the room temperature I want, whatever heating curve they are deciding on is not one size fits all and no way to adjust this to fit what I EXPECT. Unfortunately I work from a basement space which is fine when the heating works as expected but on cold days when Tado just turns everything off on a whim it's unbearable.

• srichards
    Options

Mine has been overheating in the morning every single morning for months. It's something to do with early start/change of temperature. If I leave the temperature flat for the rest of the day the stupidity just disappears so it overheats in the morning then usually stays close to required temperature. All SRTs are independent as they don't work when they can call for heat at all.

I've had it over heat for 90 minutes after temperature has been reached which is really wrong. Much of the time it's about 45 minutes too long. On warmer days it's only 20 minutes over heat but it is consistently 1C over target daily. I just leave it to fall back. It warms the place through but if it's doing more than 1C over on a normal main stat I'd consider it a serious failing.

• RichardN
    Options

Yeah I just had it do the same again this morning. Strangely I thought it had gotten better lately.

I'm wondering if it's Tado's servers just unable to process all the data properly, or some Tado devices are not being processed properly.

Target was 18.0, room was 18.5. Heating demand set to 2 bars.

I pushed target down to 17.0 and went to school.

Got back, boiler still on. Target 17.0, room 18.5, heating demand 1 bar.

In what sense should any gas be burning when you're 1.5 degrees above the target temp?

Their algorithm is just broken. I'm starting a support case.

• systeq
    Options

I've been on to their support about this for the last couple of days. They've refreshed the config for me (apparently) and it does seem to have improved today. It still ran over a bit, but not by enough to be a real issue.

Their explaination was: if the temperature starts to drop the system anticipates it going below the threshold and requests a small amount of heat to reduce the drop. Given mine wasn't dropping at the time it's not really convincing, but there we have it.

• Well this is disappointing!...

I've spent around £550 over the last 3 weeks getting 6 TRV's and 2 wireless sensors, and I've noticed over the last week various rooms overheating.

Initially I had the obvious problem where I quickly realised that the sensor on the TRV itself is measuring the temperature right next to the heat source, being the radiator, and therefore realised I needed to invest in a wireless sensor to get an accurate reading.

So I buy 2 sensors and so far so good...

I manually regulate bathroom and hallway using the TRV offset and that's OK for now.

But now I am also finding that the 2 rooms with the wireless sensors are now overheating approx 0.7 to 0.9 degrees quite regularly.

So I start looking online and find this thread...

Which leads me back to my opening sentence...

This is disappointing.... To find out multiple people have been having similar problems for some time!

I'm going to experiment a little to see if I can find a balance by maybe setting the target to 0.5 lower than I want and will see what happens.

For reference, my tado system comprises of 6 basic TRV's and 2 wireless sensors.... No boiler controller.

I leave 1 sensor in the bedroom 24/7 and the other sensor moves between 2 different rooms... Lounge in the evening and conservatory during the day where I remote work.

I'll be honest here and say I do believe I am using less energy with this system than before having it, which is great, but the overheating is becoming a little annoying.

Cheers... Andy.
  • GrayDav4276
    GrayDav4276 ✭✭✭
    edited February 2023
    Options
    Welcome to the strange world of tado devices and methodology.
    It never ceases to amuse me with the constant basic issues that a lot of people have with their system and the distinct lack of response from tado°
  • johnbur
    Options
    Does anyone from Tado ever respond on these forums anymore?
  • GrayDav4276
    Options
    I can't say that I remember the last tado° interaction with this Forum.
  • On other forums you can tag employees or moderators by using @????.

Does anyone know of any employees or moderators that we can try tagging in this topic?
  • Montage
    Options

You can tag a mod, but I don’t think the mod represents Tado. There were some Tado people, but they gave up ages ago.

• GrayDav4276
    Options
    It appears that tado° employees are "not listening"
  • johnbur
    Options
    @Rob and @Jurian from Tado used to respond, but haven't seen them lately...
  • RichardN
    RichardN
    edited February 2023
    Options

I started a support chat.

They rebooted all my devices and "pushed the config" onto them. No idea what that means.

It does seem slightly better. It still was calling for 3 bars of heating this morning 5 minutes after the schedule dropped the temp.

They say as above, that it's designed and looking at temperature trend etc and some overheating is to be expected.

I can understand that, but the massive overshoots are just not acceptable. Not given the price of gas these days.

They seem to have ignored my previous screengrabs showing calls for heat when significantly over target temp.

Will continue to grab screenshots and ask for explanations as it happens.

I might have a look at playing with the API and grabbing data out to monitor it more closely.

• systeq
    Options

I also gave them screenshots, but to be honest I think it's a waste of time. If they believe this is normal, they aren't going to pay much attention to it.

For me it seems to be just that initial heat up in the morning, once it settles down to maintaining that heat it operates ok. In terms of gas cost it's probably not huge, as that initial over heat ofsets against the heating not having to come back on for a while to maintain the temperature.

If you're just reliant on the Tado system I'm not sure there's much you can do. I also connect mine to HomeAssistant, so I've been able to set up a "failsafe" with that. If the temperature hits 0.5 degress higher than the set value HomeAssistant overrides Tado and shuts offf the heating entirely for 30 minutes. So far it's kicked in 2 of the last 3 mornings, so I'm definately still seeing the issue with the Tado system.