Multiple bridges & wireless receivers in same house

jimmymc
jimmymc
edited January 2021 in General Questions & Topics

Hi Folks

I have two wireless programmable timers that I'd like to replace with Tado (first one does rads and hot water, the other is the underfloor heating in the kitchen).

Support tell me that only one wireless receiver is supported per account (quite the restriction!). I asked if I could simply use two accounts and purchase two starter kits. A pain to manage (logging in/out of apps etc.), but I'd have to live with it.

Support replied, and I quote:

"Creating two accounts in the same house would cause cause communication problems between the accounts and the airwaves would be scrambled" (really).

I queried, and the next response was:

"If two internet bridges are connected to the same router, this proximity could lead to communication problems". This I could believe if they were to use the same identity/hostnames etc., for each bridge, or base comms on the single public IP - but I suspect they'd probably use the S/N or some unique identifier for each bridge.

Can someone clarify what issues I could expect? I'd pair the first wireless receiver/thermostat and TRVs with the first bridge, and the second receiver/thermostat with the second bridge.

If that's doable, would also appreciate info on buying individual components if it's cheaper than two starter kits..

Thanks for any help.. James

Best Answer

• jimmymc
    jimmymc
    Answer ✓

Hi All

Just to finish this one up - after so many emails asking for my query to be escalated, I got through to someone who said there is no issue with up to 5 bridges on the same router. I get the impression they try to steer people away from it as the user experience of having to have several accounts and email addresses associated isn't great.

Hope that helps others if they stumble on this.

Cheers

Answers

• GrilledCheese2
    GrilledCheese2 ✭✭✭
    edited January 2021

Here’s a post from someone who tried it after Tado initially advised it would work, but it didn’t. It does appear that Tado cannot handle multiple devices on the same IP address. Thankfully other tech companies don’t restrict us to just one of their smart devices.

• jimmymc
    jimmymc
    edited January 2021
    Thanks - I did see that thread but had doubts on it. @P_K - what issues did you have, and did support give you any specifics on why it doesn’t work/isn’t supported? I have asked them myself (this-morning) and will report back if I get anything solid.

If I know what the problem is, I might be able to work around it..

Thanks again, James
  • jimmymc, did you get a resolution to this query? I’m looking into doing the same thing and was wondering if it’s possible or not.

Thanks,
  • Would be awesome if someone could confirm whether they were able to get this working…?

I’m fuming with the ridiculously short range of the Tado bridge and willing to give this silly workaround a go.
  • Same need here. The range of the bridge is ridiculous, we need to be able to add more and having different accounts to manage them should not be acceptable. I will wait a few more days to get an answer from Tado on this and send back my 7 devices back if not.
  • Philips Hue is a great example for this. Each bulb is a relay throughout the house so they communicate with each other and help extend the range. Basic. My house is 300m2 and my walls are 1m wide, with Tado’s bridge I barely cover 2 rooms.
  • Hi All,

Just wanted to check if anyone has been able to find a solution to this? I have similar set up where I am already using Tado for central heating and hot water but would like to use it also for the Kitchen's UFH. The response I got from Tado was a straight no and before I consider another provider (eg Nest) for the UFH I thought I would check with you.

Thanks.