Alexa Setup With TRV

Options

This is for TADO smart radiator valves. I installed some last week and I keep getting these drop outs from the schedule as 'manual control' and had no idea why.

Anyway, I think it is Alexa! Because I have added them to room groups if I ask the 'room' to do things like 'turn on' (either directly or as part of a routine) it actually changes the temperature on the valve.

So, my question is this. Do i remove the valves from the groups? I guess so, but then how would you tell 'lounge to increase temperature' for example.

Any workarounds from people who have this setup?

Best Answer

• GrayDav4276
    GrayDav4276 ✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

Hi@irvsaz ,

What you need to do is ensure that the "Alexa Voice prompt" is different for the Thermostat and any other "Alexa" controlled devices......like lights etc.

Alexa is 'smart' but can't differentiate between devices in a room if the "Voice Prompt" is 'generic'

For example for the thermostat you could use "Alexa set Living Room to xx degrees" and for any other devices you could call the Living Room......"Front Room or TV Room" for example. In this way Alexa can differentiate between your requests.

I have 10 SRT's 1 Wireless Thermostat and 1 Wireless Temperature Sensor as Thermostats in a total of 10 Tado Rooms........and all work very well.

A point to note (sorry if you already know this)........any Tado device activation done through Alexa is seen by Tado as a "Manual change" and the timescale of the "Alexa action" is 'controlled' by the timescale that you have set in the Tado Room 'Manual change settings'........you can set a TIME or UNTIL NEXT SCHEDULE CHANGE or UNTIL CANCELLED BY USER........so it can be set up just how you want it to operate.

Please let me know how you get on.

Answers

• samd
    samd ✭✭✭
    Options

@irvsaz I have 2 tado TRV in my lounge and ask Google to set Lounge to 20 degrees and works fine and, of course, it should change the temperature on the valves. When you ask them to change, have a look at the app, it may be set to turn off after, say 60 minutes.

• irvsaz
    Options

@samd Yeah, that works ok. Its more that I keep getting these points in the day where a room goes to 21 degrees randomly and it is because of 'manual control' yet I havent touched it or asked alexa to do anything.

However, I now realise there is a command for to 'turn on' kitchen (for example) and I think this is when this change happens, so a command that you use to the room as a whole seems to be interfering with it.

• irvsaz
    Options

@GrayDav4276 Thanks for this, that is very comprehensive and just what I was after. The issue I was having were that commands for the 'room' were creating a manual change in Tado. I am not sure how the 'Kitchen on' command made it go to manual and 21 degrees, but it doesnt matter why, its just good that I now know what is causing what I thought were completely random glitches.

Thanks for your help