Tado and LG Air Source Heat Pump

armsinit
armsinit ✭✭

Hi

I have Smart TRV's for all the radiotors at the moment but I am replacing my heating system with an LG Terma-V monobloc Air Source Heat Pump.

https://support.tado.com/en/articles/3387240-which-heating-systems-does-tado-support On here it says it supports ASHP's for heating only but doesn't give any details of which,

Any help would be appreciated.

Answers

• @armsinit

Thanks for the link you included.

I am considering getting a Daikin Altherma 3H HT ASHP. Tado have confirmed they support this system but did not mention the hot-water limitation mentioned via that link.

(I sent Tado a support question and they said they support the Daikin model I listed.)

I suspect they also will not support the reversible mode feature possible on some models including some of the Altherma family. I am still learning about ASHP systems but based on what I have learned so far it looks like the reversible mode is more trouble than its worth and I might have to consider a separate AC system.

• armsinit
    armsinit ✭✭
    edited February 2021

@jelockwood

There is a lot to learn with ASHPs. If you are like me you don't know anyone else with one which also makes it more difficult.

We had the LG heat pump installed last week along with the Tado controller. The heating is working well, the whole hose is more comfortable as every room is now at the desired temperature. Only 2 of our 11 radiators do not have have the SmartTRV's.

The water heating is not a feature I will miss from the Tado system. The ASHP monitors the water temperature in the tank and when it falls below a certain level it heats it up again. This may not be the most economical way to run the heat pump but I believe it will be the least stress solution as no running out of hot water. If I do want to schedule a time then that I can do from the heat pump control panel directly.

I would have liked to have the cooling mode too but that added a completely new level of complexity. I figured if the need and money (magically) appeared I'd look at it again then.

Did you have a heat loss survey to see what size of unit you would require?