Vaillant 631 Ecotec Plus and Calormatic 470F Interfering

Options
Hi have a smart thermostat and multiple Tado TRVs with my Vaillant 631 Ecotec Plus combi.

At the moment I have issues with what I suspect is the existing wireless thermostat interfering. Specifically:
- for heat to be drawn I need the Calormatic thermostat permanently on (like set to 25 degrees). Tado then appears to somewhat successfully regulate this downwards
- when I don’t want heat to be drawn, I have Tado attempting to stop the call for heat but then being overridden by the Calormatic thermostat. This results in the pulp ‘pulsing’ every 30 seconds or so (which is annoying as the gushing of water is notable in several rooms).

Ideally I’ll just be able to scrap the Calormatic thermostat- I.e. take out the batteries and put it away. It doesn’t control anything else in the house so am happy for Tado to take over.

I’ve attempted Tado support with this but with little success- they advise that it’s a problem with the pressure on the boiler but this is rubbish as if I disconnect Tado from the system I can use the old Calormatic thermostat as designed. I’m assuming the pressure warnings they’re seeing as Tado calling for heat but not getting the pump turned on when the Calormatic thermostat is off. They’re now refusing to help until I call out a gas safe engineer to inspect the system, which I genuinely believe will be a costly waste of time.

I’ve set the smart thermostat to D07 which I believe is correct for this setup. Note I’m using the extension kit also.

Any help greatly appreciated!

Answers

• A few more observations: so long as the Calormatic and Smart thermostat agree on whether the boiler should be on or off it’s fine.

If Tado calls for heat (usually in the day) and Calormatic calls for heat (usually in the day) then system works as expected. Additionally, if neither are calling for heat then everything is fine. It’s when they disagree that the system pulses on/off.

Any advice would be really helpful, Tado support still aren’t acknowledging that this is an interference issue from the old thermostat.