How to create zones and add smart TRVs?

Options
I currently have two heating circuits on my heating system - 1 up and 1 down. I have a combi boiler with a smart thermostat on each floor. I’ve recently tried to introduce a smart TRV downstairs in order to have a better balance of temperature as the room where the thermostat is gets warmer a lot quicker than the other rooms downstairs and cuts the heating off before the other rooms reach temperature.

How should this be configured so the TRV can call for heat independently of the thermostat? The guidance I’ve read talks about the smart thermostats as being “zone controllers” and assigning the TRV to the correct zone. I don’t seem to be able to find zones anywhere in the settings. The smart thermostats are called “rooms” in the Tado app.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Dan

Answers

• GrilledCheese2
    GrilledCheese2 ✭✭✭
    edited December 2020
    Options

I’m of the opinion that adding a single TRV is not going to solve your problem. If you want to have a room with a different schedule to the rest of the house then an additional TRV is the way to go. If you want reduce the amount of heat in the room where you have the wall stat then you should turn down the lockshield valve on the radiator in that room.

The lockshield is the valve with the fixed head that you cannot normally adjust by hand. It regulates how much hot water flows through the radiator. The less hot water flowing through a radiator the less heat it emits and the slower a room heats up.

If you have rooms that heat particularly slowly you can open up the lockshield a bit and the room will heat faster. This is what plumbers refer to as balancing. In general the radiators closest to the boiler should have their lockshields closed more than the radiators furthest from the boiler.

• jw0ng02
    Options
    Hi Dan,

Zone settings is buried in the “room and devices” in the DESKTOP WEB PORTAL. When you click into each smart TRV, it will show you which Zone it is in.

See this thread.
    https://community.tado.com/en-gb/discussion/6342/multi-zone-control-handling-by-tado