Towel Radiator

Options
How do i install a Tado TRV to a towel radiator with a normal chrome value?

Answers

• R_H
    Options

Hi

You need to check what kind of valve is on your radiator and see if any of the adapters in the box will help. Some valves do not work with Tado.

A picture maybe and a valve radius measurement might help me figure that out.

Cheers

RH

• ahmedt
    ahmedt
    edited February 2022
    Options
    Its like this
    https://www.google.com/search?q=ultra-modern-angled-radiator-valves-chrome-rv002&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=
  • ahmedt
    Options
    Will not let me post the l
    Url try searching ultra-modern-angled-radiator-valves-chrome-rv002
  • Hey Ahmedt, exactly the same question I have. I'm using 6 of the Tato Radiator stats right now (on standard radiators) and I'd like to add 2 more to my towel rails. I do also have those exact valves, and my initial investigation makes me think that the Tado Stats will not work, as these towel rail valves actually have a turning action, as opposed to just an up/down pin movement as the standard valves do.

Can anyone make any suggestions?

• GrilledCheese2
    Options

Those valves are simply manual valves. Before you can fit a Tado device on those radiators you will need to replace with a TRV. Buy a TRV with a connection thread of M30 x 1.5 mm, otherwise you will have to use an adapter to fit the Tado device.

• GrayDav4276
    Options

Hi @ahmedt & @Audiotechnical

These valves are not compatible with the Tado Smart Radiator Valves.......the Tado SRT's are designed to replace TRV's and not 'standard' radiator valves.

To do this you need to replace your 'standard' valves with TRV's and then attach the Tado SRT's to the TRV base.............job done 👍😎

• Okey dokey. I thought it may be something like that.

Thanks.

• ahmedt
    Options
    Better picture
    https://www.victorianplumbing.co.uk/ultra-modern-angled-radiator-valves-chrome-rv002
  • ahmedt
    Options
    “https://www.victorianplumbing.co.uk/ultra-modern-angled-radiator-valves-chrome-rv002”
  • GrayDav4276
    Options
    Hey @ahmedt,

That's not a TRV... So you cannot simply fit a Tado SRT to replace this.
    You need to purchase a TRV to replace the existing valve.....then attach a Tado SRT to the TRV.
  • In any case I would be nervous about putting any smart TRVs in a bathroom as it is a hostile environment to electrical devices due to steam, splashing and subsequent corrosion
  • samd
    samd ✭✭✭
    Options

I have had smart TRVs in our bathroom for near on 4 years - not an issue.

• jelockwood
    Options

For what it's worth it is generally regarded as a requirement to have at least one radiator fitted with no TRVs. This is to allow hot water to circulate through at least one radiator if the boiler is running when all the TRVs have shut off all the other radiators. (Speak to your plumber.)

Typically but not compulsorily the bathroom heated towel rail is often chosen for this role. It could be any radiator.

• Aussi
    Options

If I leave my bathroom radiator without a thermostat (tado or otherwise), is it recommended to install a Wireless Temperature Sensor in the room?

• obtc101
    Options

Hello - similar decision here before proceeding with tado. So from what I am hearing, you should have at least one radiator with a manual valve. Makes sense.

However if I leave this on the bathroom towel rail, I have no control over when it's heated. It's simply going to be coming on / off when at least one tado TRV is triggered. This is quite passive.

I was hoping that by having a tado TRV on my bathroom rad, it would let me heat just the towels in Spring / Autumn when my central heating is generally off, and my towels aren't drying fully each day between showers.

How do others manage this who have a non-electrical, central heated bathroom towel rail?

• GrayDav4276
    Options

Hi @obtc101

You can indeed fit a tado° Smart Radiator Thermostat (SRT) to your Towel Rail (assuming that the TR is already fitted with a Thermostatic Radiator Valve) if the Towel Rail doesn't have a TRV fitted then you must replace the normal valve for a TRV, then fit the tado° SRT.

It is normally recommended to have a "non smart" radiator in the system (a radiator without an SRT fitted)......I use my downstairs hallway radiator to achieve this.......however many modern boilers are fitted with a "bypass/relief" system and therefore a "non smart" radiator is not actually required.

So with a little bit of expenditure, you can have exactly what you're looking for.

• gra63
    Options

'For what it's worth it is generally regarded as a requirement to have at least one radiator fitted with no TRVs. This is to allow hot water to circulate through at least one radiator if the boiler is running when all the TRVs have shut off all the other radiators. '

If I leave the towel rail with no Tado TRV, when will the towel rail get hot? How does the towel rail talk to the boiler?

• andyblac
    andyblac ✭✭✭
    edited March 2022
    Options

@gra63

if you don't fit a SRT to the towel radiator it will heat when any other radiator with a SRT is calling for heat. It does not talk to boiler.

• gra63
    Options

If you have SRTs on all your radiators, what is the function of the of the thermostat? Do the SRTs talk to the thermostat which in turns talks to the boiler via an extension kit?

• JohnWH
    Options

@gra63

Assuming the smart thermostat is assigned to an area which has SRT's fitted to the radiators then that becomes the temperature sensor for that area.

Given sensible placement it will provide far more accurate temperature control than the TRV's on their own can do due to their proximity to the radiators.

• Johnsh
    Options

Doesn't a bypass valve/loop do away with the need for at least one radiator without a TRV?

We have a towel rail that comes on whenever there is demand on the boiler. We also have an electric towel rail that as far as I can tell is on permanently (as far as I am concerned, it makes one ensuite and the associated bedroom so warm that I cannot use them). Both seem insanely inefficient. I'm assuming that I can get an appropriate TRV for the one associated with the boiler and hence use a tado SRV on it. But how would I integrate the electric towel rail with tado?

• johnnyp78
    Options
    You could try wiring it to a Tado thermostat but it depends on the current. Tado devices can switch a maximum of 3A, anything more than than that and you’d need a separate switch installed. Can’t see any way to control the temperature either unless it can be fitted with a trv or is Opentherm, both of which I doubt.