Vaillant ecoTEC Pro 29

Options

I'm having a Vaillant ecoTEC Pro 28 combi boiler fitted at the end of November. I've just looked at the Tado instructions for connecting the extension kit to the boiler.

All the instructions say to do is connect the BUS + and - terminals to the corresponding terminals on the Tado extension box:

Is this all? Two wires to power the extension box and switch the boiler on/off? Have I understood this correctly?

Thanks for any advice.

Answers

• rDarko
    Options
    Yes that’s right providing you can get hold of Tado to update your firmware which is impossible!
  • scgf
    Options

Thank you. I have Firmware: 71.2 on my extension. What do I need?

• rDarko
    Options
    You’re in luck! 64.6 onwards :)
    My new extension is stuck on firmware 31.13 and so far Tado have been unable to update it... very frustrating!
  • scgf
    Options

Thank you. Good news indeed. It's a new extension, took delivery of it yesterday - the previous one was over 5 years old and just stopped working.

• scgf
    scgf ✭✭
    edited November 2020
    Options

Just one more thing. The installer instructions for the Vaillant say to select eBUS D07 in the thermostat settings, but the installation instructions a normal user has access to from within the Tado app has no mention of this step - which would effectively mean the thermostat would keep the relay setting R01. I'm assuming the installer instructions are correct, but I wonder why it's not mentioned elsewhere?

• I'm having the same fun with my EcoTec Pro24. I am assuming that the boiler is powered by it's own 230v switched fused spur and the connections above are the only connections to the Extension kit?

• johnnyp78
    Options
    Bus connections should be enough to power the extension kit, otherwise you can run a separate cable to a mains outlet or the boiler spur.
  • GrayDav4276
    Options

These are the connections for the ebus .......the extension kit still needs to be powered via plug or internally from the boiler......sorry if you already realised this.

• johnnyp78
    Options
    ebus will power the extension kit, unlike Opentherm, which requires a separate power supply.
  • scgf
    Options

Bear in mind the extension kit sold in the UK no longer supports eBUS, only basic on/off switching. My comments in this thread refer to the previous extension kit, now only available from retailers in other countries. If you have the non-UK extension kit it is powered through the BUS connection and only two wires need to be connected - + and - at each end. That's it. It is a low-power digital connection.

I think some of the confusion here is because of the two versions of the extension box. If I were setting up Tado with a recent boiler which has BUS support there is no way I'd buy the UK kit.

• GrayDav4276
    Options
    Hi @johnnyp78
    I didn’t realise that the power was supplied via the ebus connections.....I have learnt something today. 👍